Syrup Storage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenperrett

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
If there a shelf life for syrup in a sealed container ? It would be easier to make a large batch and store than a few litres at a time, which is what I do now.

Darren.

If there a shelf life for syrup in a sealed container ? It would be easier to make a large batch and store than a few litres at a time, which is what I do now.

Darren.

not sure, what i do know is it will not last if left outdoors, I had lots of feeders with syrup in that ended up a mess with mould once rainwater got in

not sure, what i do know is it will not last if left outdoors, I had lots of feeders with syrup in that ended up a mess with mould once rainwater got in

Well they will do..............the rainwater will dilute the sugar concentrate and add paricles which will then go mouldy.

If you add thymol to syrup it will stop it fermenting, also if the sugar concentration is high enough it shouldn't ferment.....I say shouldn't because as with all things stuff happens. Spring runny syrup would ferment fairly easily especially as the weather is warming, winter concentrate should be okay, but thymol will ensure that it is.

Frisbee

To make up a large volume and store rather than smaller batches makes a lot of sense.
As Frisby has said, Make it strong, keep it clean and add thymol to prevent it from fermenting.
Thymol is soluble in methelated spirits or surgical spirits. See the thread here for Hivemakers advice on the method.
Keep it under cover and relatively cool and you can decant what you want when you need it and perhaps take advantage of cheap bulk sugar prices as you see them. Storage might become an issue.
Dilute small batches to working strength for light syrup in the spring.

Thanks for the replies, I`m pretty much done feeding now but It`ll be easier to do a job lot next year.

Regards, Darren.

Syrup is so easy to do that i cannt se any idea to store it more than one week.
it is so much beekeeping stuff to be stored.

Syrup is so easy to do that i cannt se any idea to store it more than one week.
it is so much beekeeping stuff to be stored.

Agreed.

It's much easier to store the sugar and the water separately in the long term, and make up as much syrup as is needed in the short term.

I don`t want to keep it for weeks, It`s just that this year I`ve been feeding Nucs and casts and trying to get foundation drawn out etc. It`s easier to make a few litres extra so it`s there than keep getting sugar everywhere.

Regards,
Darren.

If you add thymol to syrup it will stop it fermenting, also if the sugar concentration is high enough it shouldn't ferment.....I say shouldn't because as with all things stuff happens. Spring runny syrup would ferment fairly easily especially as the weather is warming, winter concentrate should be okay, but thymol will ensure that it is.

Frisbee

I said this earlier, and it's still good advice especially this bit:-
winter concentrate should be okay, but thymol will ensure that it is.

If anyone is interested I can get hold of 10/12 litre plastic containers .........for next year now, good for syrup, not too large to cart around 18lbs sugar/9 pints water fills them nicely.

I get them on my travels round farms so if anyone is interested please pm me and I can start saving them.

Frisbee

Thanks again, I`ll definately get some Thymol in before the spring :cheers2:

Standard rule of thumb is 'add water to level of sugar in the vessel'?

In that case store dry sugar in plastic buckets until required. Add boiling water, or thereabouts, to dissolve and feed. End of problem, really. Your choice as to how much to make up at a time and easy dry storage for the bulk. No less space required but a lot lighter than stored as syrup, and less prone to spoiling. Plastic buckets need to be stored away from direct sunlight.

Regards, RAB

Any tips of how to get syrup from a large mixing container into smaller containers for transporting to the bees when the large container does not have a valve/tap in the bottom?

I have a large Burco boiler with a tap but am thinking of others who have a 60lb bucket they could use.

Syphon tube, with built-in pump for starting the syphon? Or fix a small honey valve in the bucket?

Would not most on the forum either have suitable facilities, or only need relatively small amounts of syrup at a time?

Regards, RAB

's funny how the simplest of questions end up with the most complicated of answers............
A small amount of syrup takes but moments to decant into a suitable carrying container by the simple use of a jug and funnel.
Syphoning is slow and boring unless you use a wide bored pipe. Walking away and leaving it will if there's more syrup than container result in splilage. Then it tends to get a bit more exciting..................

Frisbee

totally agree Frisbee. Regarding your 3rd sentence been there done that and am wearing the T shirt:)
Mike

Latest posts

Back