Syrup question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_H

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Doesn’t have any relevance to my current situation......

But..... when feeding syrup, will the bees always feed on it for instant energy use? Or do they sometimes store it in the frames?

And how would you know if they were storing it?

Just wondered come harvest, how you would know if you’re extracting honey or syrup....

The two to one syrup that you are feeding them they will be storing

They will have used it all by spring so no problems with tainting honey.

The one to one syrup you feed them in spring they will use straight away for energy.

Last edited:
The one to one syrup you feed them in spring they will use straight away for energy.

or they will store it if there's a surplus.

Handy hint:
if it's autumn, whether there is a flow on or not then you want them to store it and they will, regardles of whether 1:1, 2:1 or fondant, so pile it on

If it is spring, and there is a flow on, then you shouldn't be feeding because if you do, they will store it regardles of whether 1:1, 2:1 or fondant

It is one of the fine arts of beekeeping. With the availability of fondant I tend to underfeed. I wait until the hives are light and then feed fondant as and when I feel it is needed to keep them ticking over until the first flows start. It is always going to be a balancing act but the weather means you never know if you have it right of wrong until it is too late. It needs fairly constant observation and a certain amount of intelligent intervention and loads of luck!!!!
E

It is one of the fine arts of beekeeping. With the availability of fondant I tend to underfeed. I wait until the hives are light and then feed fondant as and when I feel it is needed to keep them ticking over until the first flows start. It is always going to be a balancing act but the weather means you never know if you have it right of wrong until it is too late. It needs fairly constant observation and a certain amount of intelligent intervention and loads of luck!!!!
E

When you say light what sort of weight ?
This feeding malarkey can be challenging not every winter is the same, hives at different strengths , type of bee which makes a difference also to how much they consume , quite a few variables really.
Wise words though E , constant weighing weekly if you can and knowing what your hive type weighs with out bee's comb / with comb, and bee's.
This is my fourth winter and I'm starting to get to grips with feeding

My first winter I completely over feed and had to remove winter stores.

not if you have over fed them they won't. I keep emphasising that feeding is a balancing act on here

wise words as i think the first frame we extracted was mainly left over invert this year, but its a fine balancing act.

Think it takes quite a lot of learning and experience to get it right, one day maybe :)

When you say light what sort of weight ?
This feeding malarkey can be challenging not every winter is the same, hives at different strengths , type of bee which makes a difference also to how much they consume , quite a few variables really.
Wise words though E , constant weighing weekly if you can and knowing what your hive type weighs with out bee's comb / with comb, and bee's.
This is my fourth winter and I'm starting to get to grips with feeding

My first winter I completely over feed and had to remove winter stores.

The best way is to set up a test hive with no bees and no stores but all the frames. See what that is like when you heft it. I can't give a weight as such as so much is variable. My home made roofs for example weigh a ton!
I like to start the winter with a figure of 35 to 40 lbs on the rear weight alone.... I don't bother multiplying up. I work off rear weight only as a guide. 35 to 40 is with the roof
But I am in sunny Somerset remember!
E

Art is great..

But I measure so little judgement required.

Weighing and keeping records makes judgement much easier..

Personally I'd rather pull unused stores out of hives ( and use them in nucs) in spring than be adding fondant in winter.
If for no other reason than the frames filled with stores help prevent rapid temp change in the hive.

The best way is to set up a test hive with no bees and no stores but all the frames. See what that is like when you heft it. I can't give a weight as such as so much is variable. My home made roofs for example weigh a ton!
I like to start the winter with a figure of 35 to 40 lbs on the rear weight alone.... I don't bother multiplying up. I work off rear weight only as a guide. 35 to 40 is with the roof
But I am in sunny Somerset remember!
E

I think I would much prefer to weigh both sides of the hives, one side can weigh up to 3/4 kg different in weight , I've a little ocd that don't like to many valuables...

I think I would much prefer to weigh both sides of the hives, one side can weigh up to 3/4 kg different in weight , I've a little ocd that don't like to many valuables...

Too true. I weigh front to back.. often a 5kg difference..Us OCDers must stick together... now which adhesive ?

Latest posts

Back