Syrup - how long does it last?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I made up some syrup about a week ago but didn't give it to the bees as the weather turned good. How long is it good for? Presumably it would smell if it had started to ferment?

Thanks!

If it looks good then prob is. It will go mouldy before anything else. I make up loads of 4 pint bottles and keep till next visit. Often over a week

Must be ok then as it looks fine, so I'll put it on tonight. Thanks Heather.

If you put the right thymol mix in, it will last until next season at least. I'm feeding 2-1 I made up last year with thymol and they are taking it quite happily.

In spring, I killed a few bees with syrup I'd left outside for a week. I'm putting Thymol in the winter feed days.

There is a link on the forum some where to an Australian government publication called Fat Bees Skinny Bees it claims that yest spores start growing on sugar syrup after the three days the longer it is left and the warmer it is the more toxic it becomes to the bees i have not used it yet but i intend to put thymol in mine in future

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back