syrup feed containers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
Where do you get them from I have tried local super markets for popcorn/candyfloss in a bucket but cant find any, anyone know what supermarket sells them . I will need some for the weekend. I came across this site online.

http://www.waterbuttsnbottles.co.uk/BUCKETS-&-PAILS/c-1-113/

I was looking at the 2.5ltr ones.

Last edited:
one have a look at the video section or the other way is any container with a lid perforate lid with sharp pointy thing fill with sugar water and invert over the top of the frames as long as you dont have a hole on the top and the sharp pointy thing has made holes for the girls to stick there toungues through it will work, my neebee is using an ice cream tub at the moment

Does the local pound shop sell any food like biscuits/penny sweets etc in them ?

Veg, if you use an open container for a feeder, as opposed to an inverted feeder, then do remember to cover the surface with pieces of wood, too as much as 99%. Then the girls will be able to take the syrup through the gaps with out drowning! Also, will help if they can grip the sides, where you may need to use a couple of strips of wood to act as a ramp.

You could try a local farm feedstuff supplier. They probably sell chick feed and stuff like that in plastic tubs by de-canting from a larger container.

Or how about a veterinary medicine supplier, they might use plastics tubs and sell you some.

can't be sure if it is good advice, but I am playing with feeding mechanisms.

I have an old 22kg Salt bucket with two inverted 3 litre squash bottles. I have several 2mm holes around the neck so the feed comes out of the bottle only when the level drops below the highest hole.. and then it is extremely slowly. (as the air bubbles upwards)
The level of fluid is no deeper than about 30mm

I have a 22mm hole in the side of the bucket just above the fluid level and have it on the outside of the hive. (the bucket has a lid)

I have an old (clean) tshirt in the bottom of the bucket so it can absorb the liquid that the bees feed off and prevents the bees from drowning.

i have been testing for a couple of days and so far, the evaporation is letting the water levels in the bucket go down slowly... live testing this weekend!

I have been tempted to try inverted buckets but have heard horror story's. I have also made a miller feeder but can't get the damn thing watertight.

I have an old plastic buscuit tub full of water next to one of the hives with large bubble, bubble wrap floating on. The bees have been using it, and so far no dead bees... not sure if it would be good enough for enthusiastic bees getting food though...

Veg, if you use an open container for a feeder, as opposed to an inverted feeder, then do remember to cover the surface with pieces of wood, too as much as 99%. Then the girls will be able to take the syrup through the gaps with out drowning! Also, will help if they can grip the sides, where you may need to use a couple of strips of wood to act as a ramp.

A piece of sponge cut to fit the container is a great help I find too. Gives the girls something to walk around on - ensure that you buy the sponge new though and check the packet for any 'nasties'.

Great idea White Park Cattle, I shall go and find a suitable supply of sponge for my feeder. I can see this is going to be more reliable than bits of wood. :cheers2:

Have a look at this website they sell buckets of all sizes. You could cut ahole in the top and put a gauze over it and turn it upside down over the feed hole.

http://www.alpack.ie

Busy Bee

Last edited:
My daughter (11 years old) has now taken up the task of searching stores for any type of sweets that come in buckets as long as she gets the contents lol :svengo:

Latest posts

Back