Syrup construct

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
What is the calculation I need to work out how much sugar I need to make 50 gallon of 1:1 syrup please? Doing it by weight is doing my head in

25 gallons of sugar and 25 gallons water - simplest way................................

Ah but is it Jenks? Marions site says 2:1 weighs 1.37kg for invert :unsure:

None of the links work Emyr :cry::cry:

So much easier to work in metric units!
I kilo(kg) of sugar to I kilo (kg) of water....
( I liter ( fresh) water magically weighs I kg!)

I imperial gallon is 4.6 liters if that helps!!!
The Americans of course have different gallons... probably measured in cups!

Email [email protected] with ' Syrup Calculator ' (without the quote marks) in the subject line, you will recieve the spreadsheet by return via an automated email.
Updated to Rev 1.4a 5/3/21
If you have any comments or suggestions for improvement, drop me an email.

You might also like to check out our "Inspection Sheet" as well via the same process.
Sipa

Last edited:
[I have been looking at old sugar syrup posts because I realise I have been getting my thick thin …1 water + 1 sugar and my 2:1 mixed up might explained why my bees ignored my very thin feed last spring

QUOTE="Hachi, post: 750184, member: 8158"]
What is the calculation I need to work out how much sugar I need to make 50 gallon of 1:1 syrup please? Doing it by weight is doing my head in
[/QUOTE]

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter,
8 pints to gallon x 50 gallon = 400 pints = 500lb

25 gallons of sugar and 25 gallons water - simplest way................................

because the sugar desolves into water you won’t get 50 gallons
I recken 40 galon of water + 420lb sugar or about 200kg sugar total weight about 840 lb of liquid

Sugar and water weigh roughly the same by volume so you can use any form of measuring tool you like.

I beleve sugar always coms first so

Heavy / thick syrup = 2 pasugar to 1 part water used for winter stores. Feed fast
Light or thin = 1 part sugar to 1 part water fed slowly & used to help stimulate brood production
Ready reconer
1kg sugar to 1 pt or half litre of water is thick heavy 2:1 syrup
1kg sugar to 2 pints or 1 litre of water is thin light syrup

hope I have got that correct but looking forward to being lambasted if I haven’t

Heavy / thick syrup = 2 pasugar to 1 part water used for winter stores. Feed fast
Light or thin = 1 part sugar to 1 part water fed slowly & used to help stimulate brood production
Ready reconer
1kg sugar to 1 pt or half litre of water is thick heavy 2:1 syrup
1kg sugar to 2 pints or 1 litre of water is thin light syrup

hope I have got that correct but looking forward to being lambasted if I haven’t

Consider yourself lambasted! 1:1 is a pound in a pint. 2:1 is two pounds in a pint. Those are not the same as a kilo in a litre or two kilos in a litre. They are close enough not to matter with 1:1 (+/- 10pct or so: who cares: the bees don't). But at 2:1 you are straddling the limit of solubility. At 20C two pounds of sugar will dissolve in a pint of water but two kilos will not dissolve in a litre. It's pretty easy to convert exactly: a pint is 20oz, right? So for each "one water" you need 1.25 when converting to weights. And 2kg of sugar indeed dissolves into 1.25l of water at 20C. Your ready-reckoned 1kg in 1pt will not dissolve.

As for making 50 gallons, keep debating on here! I'd make up my first batch, stick a drop in my hygrometer and work out how much 50 gal. is going to weigh and take it from there.

Oh dear - it's very early for the annual syrup mixing debate (soon to dissolve into something less savoury) It's Finman's favourite subject - he wll be along soon no doubt !

Me .. I'm with Erichalfbee ... life is too short to mix gallons of syryup - Invertbee has so many other advantages for the hobbyist for what little extra it costs. If I do run out and have to mix syrup ... again, I'm like Dani ... ratios by volume is easy. The bees won't care as long as it's approximately what they want to deal with ...

The two colonies I’m feeding, both have very thin syrup to draw comb. Not feeding any colony heavy syrup yet, waiting for the heather and balsam to finish and estimate weights.

Oh dear - it's very early for the annual syrup mixing debate (soon to dissolve into something less savoury) It's Finman's favourite subject - he wll be along soon no doubt !

Me .. I'm with Erichalfbee ... life is too short to mix gallons of syryup - Invertbee has so many other advantages for the hobbyist for what little extra it costs. If I do run out and have to mix syrup ... again, I'm like Dani ... ratios by volume is easy. The bees won't care as long as it's approximately what they want to deal with ...
NEVER too early. I could be accused of (badoom) "stirring it" but the 1.25l point is so easy and everyone seems to struggle with it so I will repeat ad nauseam...

.......I'm trying to think of something less savoury than syrup..... ;)
Thymolated syrup? But I take your point... BTW: anyone unfamiliar with syrup who ends up here, look up thymol mixes as well. eg Hivemaker's (RIP) recipe which is stickied somewhere.

You lucky, lucky lot: I have run out as it happens What to do about Nosema?

Last edited:
Back