Syrup construct

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apart from making sugar resolve faster and having to wait for it to cool befor putting it in the hive are there any chemical/ nutritional issues with useing water that is to hot?
Yes: any browning (2:1 starts greenish) is HMF which is toxic. TBH, I think the dangers are over-rated but that is just my view and that there is an issue, there is no doubt.

Last edited:
People seem to get hung up on either reaching the target of 2:1 (sugar to water) exactly, or hung up on proving that this is a physical impossibility.

I assume that the original intention of using "thick" syrup was to get the maximum quantity of sugar to the bees in the minimum amount of water.
As it is a scientific fact that at normal temperatures it is impossible to achieve a truly 2:1 solution, I just approximate the mixture using surplus sugar and leave in my mixing bucket any sugar which doesn't dissolve promptly; this forms apart of the next batch.

If, by using heat, you did manage to get more sugar dissolved than can be kept in solution at normal environmental temperaures, there is a possibility that it would crystallise out of solution in any case.

It seems like insanity to try to conduct this as if it was a laboratory experiment.
Absolutely fair. I have a Kilner of 2kg sugar and 1.25l water in my 19C kitchen and I am giving up shaking/inverting it and will feed the liquid. NB: this is not an experiment: I am a stingy feeder.

No I’ll have to ban myself….. oops. That’s why I changed the post because it made no sense
You’ve quoted the first version
Yes: any browning (2:1 starts greenish) is HMF which is toxic. TBH, I think the dangers are over-rated but that is just my view and that there is an issue, there is no doubt.
I thought this thread had been blocked due to it going off on a tangent
thanks for the informative comment . I have been doing some more reasurch and my learning is that if we are only adding boiling water and then maintaining temp below 45c ie very hot bath we run minimal if any risk of producing hmf and at 45c you can easily dissolve 2:1 sugar quickly without more than stirring ie don’t try boil the syrup.

I have been doing some more reasurch and my learning is that if we are only adding boiling water and then maintaining temp below 45c ie very hot bath we run minimal if any risk of producing hmf and at 45c you can easily dissolve 2:1 sugar quickly without more
Big saucepan. Three quarters full with sugar. Add boiling water from kettle to same level. It’s not boiling for long

Latest posts

Back