Synthetic 'Honey'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit like any adulterated honey whether sucrose or corn syrup honey, might look and taste like the real thing but isn't.

Just a thought - when you feed bees sugar syrup they take it and introduce intertase enzymes to break the sucrose down, and so begins the process of making honey. - now if all the regulations just say honey must be made by bees ......................

Just a thought - when you feed bees sugar syrup they take it and introduce intertase enzymes to break the sucrose down, and so begins the process of making honey. - now if all the regulations just say honey must be made by bees ......................

From the honey regulations.

Definition of “honey” and different types of honey

2.—(1) In these Regulations “honey” means the natural sweet substance produced by Apis mellifera bees from the nectar of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of plant-sucking insects on the living parts of plants which the bees collect, transform by combining with specific substances of their own, deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in honeycombs to ripen and mature.

From the honey regulations.

Definition of “honey” and different types of honey

2.—(1) In these Regulations “honey” means the natural sweet substance produced by Apis mellifera bees from the nectar of plants or from secretions of living parts of plants or excretions of plant-sucking insects on the living parts of plants which the bees collect, transform by combining with specific substances of their own, deposit, dehydrate, store and leave in honeycombs to ripen and mature.
Plants (y)

The National honey show lecture on Honey adulteration is well worth a watch.

The answer is not to produce artificial honey or to undergo artificial pollination but to ensure that the environment can allow all pollinators to thrive. I believe that monoculture almond and orange orchards are still being planted in the US? Despite there being water issues with aquifers drying up.

I believe that monoculture almond and orange orchards are still being planted in the US? Despite there being water issues with aquifers drying up.
Almonds give pollen but no nectar, which is why they have to feed, and to add to the ignominy, they feed corn syrup because it's even cheaper.they also maintain a scorched earth policy around the trees to ensure that no other plant or insect can interfere with the efficiency of the almond operation.
Then you go to the orange areas where, to satisfy the public demand for seedless oranges they do their best to wipe out every single pollinator especially bees to ensure no 'accidental' fertilisation of the fruits.
Is it me, or is the whole twisted thing verging on the obscene?
And I love marzipan! :banghead:

'accidental' fertilisation
The underlying reason for massive population growth in some of the poorest countries on the planet

"Is it me, or is the whole twisted thing verging on the obscene?" Yep, going crackers me thinks. Reminds me of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where they decided on mass deforestation in order to increase the value of the leaf which they had decided would be their currency.

Latest posts

Back