Swiss bee house ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
two
Anyone have some really good plans for building cabinet hives for swiss bee houses ? I am really looking hard at constructing a working unit out of a mobile construction office unit making the cabinet's quickly removable in case of emergency disposal. I believe that with the long hard winters that we have been having, The swiss bee house style would be a good option.

and I can tell you the origin of the lederhosen dancing..... LOL

PH

Err yes but I had a first hand demo in Switzerland.... must tell you sometime in confidence .... like you do on here...

PH

google translate , works for me

they look like storage units to me not bee hives as there is no way to remove the whole brood chamber in one hit.

i will doodle some ideas for you but can i have a proper email address so i can send attach ments or do you want me to post them on the forum instead?

does anyone else want to see drawings for a cabinate hive??

right, after a few days scribbling we have some ideas for you, but!

its very hard to know what we are dealing with here, Stander, that is not the bees.

so we have made some assumptions to it. one i expect that there is enough skill to make these things to within a few mm tolerance. i cant that why i have my set up my way.

also to fit these things in you are going to be looking at knocking a large hole out and will that not weaken your cabin to much?, i dont know so the answers are based on yes to most of them.

the basic gist is we build a box open sided that we can slide a brood box and supers into, now working on the idea that you will be using nationals rather than your own frames or we could also use lang or dadants the choice is up to you.

the easiest way will be to nail a timber batton to one side of the brood box another the wall of the new bee box and let them run on top of each other, we would normaly see a stop block on the outside edge of the runner to prevent push roughs and it makes it easy to push untill you stop.

i have done a few drawings below to give you some ideas,

now my lot are actualy sat on a framed floor set with standard nationals on top and through the floor a simple hole in the wall to let them outside, try the videos and see what you think.

personal rather than buying a cabin and then building the hives you will be better off buying a set of poly hives instead. i use a shed for historical purposes as everyone here well knows and i have found it very usefull for training exercises with newbees. all the rest of my hives are made from scabby ply wood and are outside near where i live with no protection at all from wind or rain, snow or sun

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"....ooo errr is this my end?

I am getting the same. So it is likely down to either HP or Admin. Probably Admin decided that all this HP secret technology was too rich for mere mortals and is protecting us from earth shattering revelations that could have a life changing effect upon us.

Or maybe not . . . :not worthy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back