Swine Flu

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My grandson has managed to catch Swine flu,the school seems to have an outbreak.

The doctor has put him on a course of Tamilflu,he is so weak he cannot even stand.

Anyone else have it in the family ?

Sorry to hear that Admin, - lots of cool drinks, paracetamol, and rest. Good old sky tv.
We seem ok, and as OH had a transplant we are a bit wary - but believe brandy/whisky kills all bugs!!:cheers2:

Not yet, but our school which has children from the estate have a couple gone down with it, so it is only a matter of time till it hits Hampshire like it has the Midlands.

My grandson has managed to catch Swine flu,the school seems to have an outbreak.

The doctor has put him on a course of Tamilflu,he is so weak he cannot even stand.

Anyone else have it in the family ?

Yep, wife and two kids down with it since the end of last week. The Tamiflu seems to work well though ... its just flu.

(I think you are in the same SO22 area as me too)

sure hope your grandson makes a speedy recovery Admin and your family too gtb...

Sorry to hear that Admin, - lots of cool drinks, paracetamol, and rest. Good old sky tv.
We seem ok, and as OH had a transplant we are a bit wary - but believe brandy/whisky kills all bugs!!:cheers2:

I personally swear by hot lemon juice, paracetamol and the magic ingredient - a decent honey. Whiskey/brandy is good but I tend to lose my sense of taste with colds/flu and so am reluctant to 'waste' 'em when I can't taste 'em. Prefer to have 'em when I'm better. :cheers2:

I agree with Heather, you cannot beat a good drop of malt Whisky! The trick is to note when you start to have a sore throat, I then gargle with a drop of Whisky, normally works for me ... hic! :cheers2:

Our family always makes a hot drink by adding boiling water to:
Honey
Lemon Juice &
Apple Cider Vinegar

Heavy on the honey of course! ;)

It's good for coughs especially

My wife drinks Apple Cider Vinegar.

She also gives it to the dog and chickens.

I agree with Heather, you cannot beat a good drop of malt Whisky! The trick is to note when you start to have a sore throat, I then gargle with a drop of Whisky, normally works for me ... hic! :cheers2:

Good point to start early. Hmm maybe this is the unarguable reason I've been looking for to have a daily tipple. After all prevention is better than cure is it not? :cheers2:

Anyone got any paint ?

I need to put a X on the front door.

Just had to pick my daugter up from school who has a banging headache and is light sensative feels sick etc.

She was with my grandson at the weekend so looks like we have another case in the family.

Admin,don't forget to get a bell and a flail,if you need to go out.

I came to England for a few days in May (didn't notice your bees Brosville:)). Comfortably snoozing at the back of the plane when the steward says "Would you mind moving to the front as a lady at the back doesn't feel well and we suspect it may be swine fever".
Half an hour later there's an announcement "Would all those who were sitting at the back and were moved forward please fill in a form". Of course by now we'd have contaminated all those up front, but still... Hostess comes up "Actually we don't have any forms, could you write your name & address on the back of this old envelope?"
"Address in France, or where I'm staying in England?"
"Oh, you live in France? I don't suppose it matters much then. Don't bother, but if you don't feel well in England, go & see a doctor"
Hm.
Arrived at Gatwick, plane put in quarantine, an hour later port authorities arrive. Wouldn't do anything as they had no masks.Masks arrive (just 2 for the port authority people) drag the woman off half screaming, and then we're allowed to go.

What's your plan B for controlling swine fever?

Just be aware that headache, light sensitive, feels sick etc could also be due to other problems e.g. meningitis. I should contact a doctor

Just be aware that headache, light sensitive, feels sick etc could also be due to other problems e.g. meningitis. I should contact a doctor

Thanks Sputnum,My eldest daughter had meningitis about 10 years ago and was touch and go,she still has one or two problems to this day from it.

We have enough medical qualifications in our house to start our own surgery so should be ok.

You are giving advice like I do regards contact your gp,this says you are also in the medical profesion and used to covering your a***..

I came to England for a few days in May (didn't notice your bees Brosville:)). Comfortably snoozing at the back of the plane when the steward says "Would you mind moving to the front as a lady at the back doesn't feel well and we suspect it may be swine fever".
Half an hour later there's an announcement "Would all those who were sitting at the back and were moved forward please fill in a form". Of course by now we'd have contaminated all those up front, but still... Hostess comes up "Actually we don't have any forms, could you write your name & address on the back of this old envelope?"
"Address in France, or where I'm staying in England?"
"Oh, you live in France? I don't suppose it matters much then. Don't bother, but if you don't feel well in England, go & see a doctor"
Hm.
Arrived at Gatwick, plane put in quarantine, an hour later port authorities arrive. Wouldn't do anything as they had no masks.Masks arrive (just 2 for the port authority people) drag the woman off half screaming, and then we're allowed to go.

What's your plan B for controlling swine fever?
I think they usually destroy them cause swine fever is a pretty serious condition. No wonder that woman was screaming, it wasn't Miss Piggy by any chance? :)
I am a bit concerned about swine flu cause I am in one of the vulnerable groups. I think if I caught it I would use the whisky technique. I don't know whether it does any good but if you drink enough you don't notice the discomfort so much and it makes me fall asleep

Latest posts

Back