Swifts, Swallows, Housemartins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Plonked my new bees onsit in the wee small hours this am, thanks for everything Hivemaker, just one question, I am stood here now watching the above whichever one it may be dive bombing past the hive, I'm guessing taking my bees, there's lots of these birds on this farm, HOW can I deter them and can they have a detrimental affect on hive numbers to the point of being concerned ?

The birds will go for the easiest option ie, where the bees are concentrated (about the entrance).
One trick is to stretch strands of black thread across the landing board fixed to 2 angled pieces of cane (thin laths).
The bees will easily avoid these, whilst the birds will be spooked :).

John Wilkinson

Hi john, and thanks.
They aren't that close yet, they are swooping and diving above the hive and about 15-20 feet in front, I realise they need to feed but it's very frustrating, this is a nuc so not at full strength, will any of the usual deterrants used on farms work?

Hi
You could buy a plastic falcon which hangs from a pole on string moves in the breeze my mums allotment had one to keep the pigeons away also thatched cottages by me have a plastic owl sitting on top to keep the sparrows away from making nests, but we have a colony of house martins and a hoard of swifts that feed from the river at the bottom of the garden , they will just have to be quick !!

Grub

Do you really think this activity is going to even remotely dent your 60,000 bee population?

Ordinarily no, however this is only a nuc, and the only target, and we are talking nests on site in double figures. The air is full of them.

So as the situation is concentrated i am more aware and wondered if it would have any affect.

So as the situation is concentrated i am more aware and wondered if it would have any affect.

Your thinking is flawed. It is stupid to think like you are thinking when you have been given an apiary site. Let someone else put their bees there. Someone else who appreciates the natural world more than yourself.

How do you even know that these insect eating birds take bees?

Your thinking is flawed. It is stupid to think like you are thinking when you have been given an apiary site. Let someone else put their bees there. Someone else who appreciates the natural world more than yourself.

How do you even know that these insect eating birds take bees?

Well as it happens they probably dont eat bees so i have nothing to be concerned about. I have had the benefit of a web search since yesterdays posts, takes me a while because im pretty stupid.

You also know nothing about me so to suggest i have little appreciation for the natural world is a tad unnecessary.

Hi john, and thanks.
They aren't that close yet, they are swooping and diving above the hive and about 15-20 feet in front, I realise they need to feed but it's very frustrating, this is a nuc so not at full strength, will any of the usual deterrants used on farms work?
The black thread trick is aimed at the tit family who like the green wood pecker behave in a learned fashion.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back