swift eating my bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosquito

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Was watching 4 swifts eating taking the odd bee today.
They must of had around 40 bees.
Also saw my 1st Hornet.:(

Was watching 4 swifts eating taking the odd bee today.
They must of had around 40 bees.
Also saw my 1st Hornet.:(

ditto, had swallows taking them for weeks here, sparrows having fun too.

you should have taken a pic of the hornet and report the spotting, it may get you famous as some are very rare!!!

Jez

I have Hornets every year around my hive.
They are European Hornet.
I kill them, if I see them.

perfect, i kill buterflies if i see em

"perfect, i kill buterflies if i see em"

Mate - I am sure that it is illegal to kill a flutterby!!

"perfect, i kill buterflies if i see em"

Mate - I am sure that it is illegal to kill a flutterby!!

rubbish, cabbage whites die die (just cabbage whites mind)

Are these hornets the hive threatening ones??
I thought those we should worry about were the European evil ones. The hornets we have are just like huge wasps. If they are not in a nest near a hive do they need to die:( - and isn't killing cabbage whites rascist??? :patriot:

I thought those we should worry about were the European evil ones. The hornets we have are just like huge wasps. If they are not in a nest near a hive do they need to die:( - and isn't killing cabbage whites rascist??? :patriot:
Well I'm not rascist I would kill "cabbage blacks" too if the were eating my baby cabbages :boxing_smiley: :cheers2:

I thought those we should worry about were the European evil ones. The hornets we have are just like huge wasps. If they are not in a nest near a hive do they need to die :patriot:

The Giant Hornet attacks the Beehives.
1/2in Bigger then the our European hornet.

I have seen the hornet on the landing board and take the odd bee.

Everyone is concerned about the gradual spread north of the asian hornet, to the extent that the equipment suppliers are now offering "hornet guard" which acts like a mouse guard allowing bees in but not the asian hornet.
I have not seen any hornets asian or european yet but they WILL arrive eventually, they have been reported in the south of the Dordogne department.
:cheers2: Mike

Latest posts

Back