Swienty Poly Langstrothe Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Only I know :D :D
Hello,

What do you use or do to protect the rims/walls of the components from damaging and dented when seperated them with a hive tool?

I'm sure putting a hive tool between and levering the boxes away would damage them unless coated with something to protect them?

Thanks

I've had that problem with my previous Swienty hives - That's why I switched to MB ones which have the hard plastic mating surfaces - 5 years on and they are still as good as new...

Alternatively, you can use a thin smear of petroleum jelly between the hive bodies which makes it a lot easier to separate them.

Would coating the surface with like some kind of varnish to harden it work?

I think I've read a post from one of the more experienced professionals that says do nothing the edges will harden over time as long as your careful to begin with, the weight of a full box compresses the surface just enough to harden it. Varnishing the surfaces will probably end up in the boxes sticking together (like glue). Vaseline will probably stop them sticking together enough to be secure.

okay when i start using the poly hive i'll try lubing the hive in Vaseline :p

Thanks for your help.

I don't do anything with them & they don't get damaged with the hive tool . Because there is no air gap , there is very little or no propolise at the joint. Just lift off the top . I may have to use the hive tool after overwintering to seperate boxes but that is it.

Well mine is now painted and everything ready to go up there today and convert the split from national to lang :D.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

You wont be disappointed my bee's seem to love them, always see them on the inner back walls as its nice and warm.

Sweinty Langstroth boxes don't generally get damaged from proper use of the hive tool.

They are sufficiently robust that Chris B even lets me get near them with the hive tool.

Just make sure that the hive tool is sharp and smooth, not one of those with a 45 degree chamfer at the end.

Latest posts

Back