Swienty National Poly Hive - Entrance Block

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmesmeric

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Guys,

I have a sweinty poly hive. I would like to reduce the size of the entrance for autumn, I currently have none.

Does anyone know what type of entrance block i need to purchase? I cannot find them online.

Thanks for your advice,

Felix

I use foam strips to narrow the entrance on the hives where I use Swienty floors. The standard wooden entrance blocks will not fit a Swienty floor.

My Swienty hives came with yellow sliding gates. Very useful for moving them about one may think? The only trouble is, they are hard to fit and keep fitted to the base. I have had one sort of 'flick out' before, releasing bees. I am considering screwing them to the base in future.
Whilst we are on the Swienty subject; they are lovely hives, my bees thrive in them. However, there are just a few 'design faults'. They do not come with crown-boards as standard. I had to make them from correx, to prevent the very active colonies from building comb on to the underside roof space. They are not designed with landing-boards either. It's not the end of the world, but I will be making some from correx later this year.New Supers (1).jpg

I just use a strip of newspaper to deuce it if I have to , roll it and wedge it in

Guys,

I have a sweinty poly hive. I would like to reduce the size of the entrance for autumn, I currently have none.

Does anyone know what type of entrance block i need to purchase? I cannot find them online.

Thanks for your advice,

Felix
Bee-equipment sell those hives

Hi
I bought a piece of 35 x 8 mm strip wood from B&Q and cut two pieces for each end of the entrance. I did mine before bees were put in and was able to tap in a couple of gimp pins into the floor behind the strips to act as stops. You could tap a pin in to the strips to act as ‘handles’ to stop them going in too far. 😊

Attachments

• 06B45DD1-A538-4004-97F0-CF30D3B75A57.jpeg
    06B45DD1-A538-4004-97F0-CF30D3B75A57.jpeg
    765.7 KB · Views: 20
That's quite funny.
:laughing-smiley-014
You'd think Patrick would know or maybe it was an intentional mistake ;)
Ah! I had to look up the About page on Patrick's profile to see the joke! Yes, I guess he responded to SWN58's photo, rather than the nmesmeric post that he quoted. (Or, maybe, he hasn't updated his website yet. Let us know, Patrick.)

Latest posts

Back