swienty nat poly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpenn

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Does anybody else have these gaps in their swienty national polys? I bought 3 to try this year and after assembling and painting I noticed gaps between the tops and bottom of the hives when stacked on top of each other. The gaps are about 2mm all the way around except for the corners.

They will probably be fine when there is some weight in them.

To be clear: I don't know.

But the DIY'er inside me wants to say couldn't you sand it down? Maybe a really fine grain of paper on a large block?

Probably a bad idea, you are better off listening to the guys who have poly boxes.

Not good to have gaps (even only when empty). The bees will propolise them when they get the opportunity.

perhaps they are designed that way to save having to use matchsticks......

:sifone:

The langstroth poly's i've just got from swienty via c w j dont have any gaps between up if that helps

Not good to have gaps (even only when empty). The bees will propolise them when they get the opportunity.

Agreed, and they propolise for good reason. A small gap like this at the top can lose nearly all the heat the poly has husbanded (been doing a few measurements). Less of an issue for wood because there is less heat to lose

The last batch of langstroth polys I got off ( this winter) them are a bit that way , but you have not put frames into them yet. I imagine they will be fine once you have the weight of the stores , frames & bees etc in them . A piece of sandpaper should do the trick if you are really worried . I would put a few frames of stores in them & try them ,mine settled once the weight went into them . The one beauty of the poly nuc boxes I find that nucs develop a lot faster in the poly boxes than in timber.

I would email Swienty with the photo's and ask what they think.

Try skp at swienty.com ( Soren K. Pedersen)

Does anybody else have these gaps in their swienty national polys? I bought 3 to try this year and after assembling and painting I noticed gaps between the tops and bottom of the hives when stacked on top of each other. The gaps are about 2mm all the way around except for the corners.

I have a National and that is fine

Latest posts

Back