Swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I've only posted once on this forum, but there seem to be quite a high percentage of smart arse comments....I guess this is one of them.

When a colony swarms, I believe they will go pretty much anywhere within their normal foraging distance, but normally within a mile or two....often much closer.

I hope that helps....a reasonable question for curiosity....once they have gone, they have gone though!

Good luck with expanding your bee knowledge....it doesn't stop. I wonder when mine will start proplerly, as they keep me guessing every time I go to them!

2nd guessing here. And there are not many smart ar*e comments by the way.

A swarm happens: it is not I think a concious decision so I agree the colony does not "decide".

I would agree that normally the range would be some two miles at most .... usually. Obviously there will be events when it is further.

PH

2nd guessing here. And there are not many smart ar*e comments by the way.
Maybe so but
I am not sure if a colony 'decides' to swarm.
Is one of them......
A swarm happens: it is not I think a concious decision so I agree the colony does not "decide".
You know exactly what the OP meant... so being pedantic is also a bit smart *rse
I would agree that normally the range would be some two miles at most .... usually. Obviously there will be events when it is further.
That wasn't too painful was it?

I am a Bee newbie but not a online Board Newbie - and I can spot a smart *rse reply....... and give them ;-)

I am going to ask a question here. Nothing to do with the original post really.

Have you just collected two colonies in the last three days? Your last post said you were still waiting for you first bees and today I see your colony count indicates two. Just intrigued. Were they swarms, nucs or full colonies?

RAB

Hey Drew?

If there is to be an award for smart arse posting in the shortest possible time I think you just won it.

I am putting you on block and I advise everyone else to do the same.

Welcome to lonely forum time.

PH

Hey Drew?

If there is to be an award for smart arse posting in the shortest possible time I think you just won it.

PH

PH - I believe I replied to your PM!

Funny how you use a different tone in public eh?

I am happy for you to ignore me - I am unable at present to contribute much on the Bee front.......
On the forum etiquette front however I will continue to point out Smart *rses and Bullies... You sir are both!

Must be cabin fever of some sort......nothing i can see thats smart arse about Midland beeks reply at all,and i agree with Poly hive also.

Hey Drew?

PH

Must be cabin fever of some sort......nothing i can see thats smart arse about Midland beeks reply at all,and i agree with Poly hive also.

Really??
You think that a reply about wether a "concious decision" is made (or not) had any relevance to the OPs question? Or do you think that it was perfectly obvious what his question was?

You stick with your mates!

Oooooops I forgot you can't read this can you because I am on ignore....
but if you are bursting to make a comeback to put the newbie in his place feel free........

One of the problems of many longish term forums is "frightening" off newbies with cliquee type behaviour.... Keep it up - but you don't frighten me.

No Drew,your not on my ignore list,nor is anyone else, or are they likely to be.
Yes i do think these reply's are perfectly okay and i also think that threads tend to wander way off the original question asked at time's,which is one of the things that make it so interesting........no rules about staying strictly on topic which is good. As long as there is no insulting or abusive behaviour whats the problem.

Hey Drew?

PH
where is the 'block this user' button?

No Drew,your not on my ignore list,nor is anyone else, or are they likely to be.
Yes i do think these reply's are perfectly okay and i also think that threads tend to wander way off the original question asked at time's,which is one of the things that make it so interesting........no rules about staying strictly on topic which is good. As long as there is no insulting or abusive behaviour whats the problem.

Fair enough - I apologise if I mis-understood your post. (I had just had a very impolite PM)

I actually think the first "smart *rse" response was perfectly OK.... although it didn't actually supply an answer.

PH response was also in my view perfectly OK - as I said in my post a "bit" SA but it did provide an answer....

If people are able to dish out SA they should be able to take it.
and (IMHO) if SA comments are OK then they are OK from Newbies (such as myself) and there is no Post Count right of passage required......

I was most riled about the loud mouth bullying PM and the public post suggesting that "everyone" should put me on their ignore list and "make it a lonely forum"

Once again I apologise to you as I obviously misread your "I agree with PH".....

Go to "User CP" and paste the nick into the block form.

PH

No problem Drew.......yes my agree bit was regards how far swarms may travel........not the rest of the comments.

PH a Bullie i dont think so hes allways nice and helpfull to me. and allways one of the first to post offering help

Put the handbags away boys (and/or girls).

We're heading rapidly towards peak season - let's just help each other as best we can.

Peace, love.......and plenty of honey!

Back