Swarms.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
So I've been out and I have two bait hives that have been busy for the last few days. I thought the scouts were coming from down the valley but no they are coming from the direction if one of our apiarys.
Bugger?!! Late swarms this season. I have been through that apiary recently and I thought everything was stable with the colonys.
What a season o_O

Attachments

• VID_20210710_180228.mp4
    25 MB
Bees swarm in times of plenty and for me that’s through to the end of July and the main flow with swarm preps tailing off with the nectar flow. Not so long ago on here it was claimed by one beek bees have a swarming deadline for May with a few outliers! Clearly many are finding that’s not the case!

swarming deadline for May
That bears no comparison with the cycle of the season.

Most likely reduction in swarming comes with the June solstice and the main flow, but that's a yardstick with plenty of room for variation: had a swarm arrive last week in stack of old boxes outside my back door, and a collection last Friday.

That bears no comparison with the cycle of the season.

Most likely reduction in swarming comes with the June solstice and the main flow, but that's a yardstick with plenty of room for variation: had a swarm arrive last week in stack of old boxes outside my back door, and a collection last Friday.
I suppose Eric even with this year's queen's that are building up there is a possibility of swarms. With a good flow?
Colony 6 a June 21 queen which are well into there first super..
IMG_20210626_212806.jpg

even with this year's queen's that are building up there is a possibility of swarms.
By late June I hope to have got past the worst of the work - splits and checks - and reckon that the percentages are in my favour.

Been checking nucs and supers and consolidating these last two weeks, which by comparison is almost a holiday.

By late June I hope to have got past the worst of the work - splits and checks - and reckon that the percentages are in my favour.

Been checking nucs and supers and consolidating these last two weeks, which by comparison is almost a holiday.

I know what you mean Eric I don't know about almost a holiday I could do with one?! just to switch of for a few days..
"I've been doing much the same uniting and consolidating colonys.

So I found the culprit colony 16 has swarmed I thought I knocked down all but one cell but there was three all emerged I've reduced the brood nest by removing frames of brood and donated them to other colonys hopefully reducing them in numbers will stop them, I also shock some of the bee's of frames infront of other colonys making sure there was know virgin on the frames.

Dare I ask how you made sure there was no virgin on the combs? Surely you can't prove something by not seeing it?

So I found the culprit colony 16 has swarmed I thought I knocked down all but one cell but there was three all emerged I've reduced the brood nest by removing frames of brood and donated them to other colonys hopefully reducing them in numbers will stop them, I also shock some of the bee's of frames infront of other colonys making sure there was know virgin on the frames.
So the colony has swarmed - the last thing you want to do is reduce the number of bees and brood any further as, by the time the queen gets mated there'll be bugger all left to tend her progeny, it's the brood left that will give you future nurse bees. If you don't want to lose another cast - manage your QCs not deplete the colony

Why ?
So what's happened to the hive? You've removed brood and bees so what's left?
What I would have done was opened that last queen cell and left them to it

had a couple of queens that have swarmed twice this year.

Latest posts

Back