Swarms of 'angry' killer Asian hornets heading to Britain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfly

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I thought that these had been seen here in the uk?

Swarms of vicious Asian hornets with a nasty sting in their tail are heading across the Channel from France to Britain, according to reports.

According to the Daily Mail, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) warns the hornets could spread over the UK throughout September.

A DEFRA statement said these "invasive and predatory" insects have "spread very quickly to many areas of France where it is reported to be causing many problems for both beekeepers and biodiversity in the country. The hornet can predate on bee colonies, causing significant harm."

The bee-eating invaders, which can grow up to 1.2 inches long, are a threat to UK wildlife - preying on wasps and other pollinators as well as honeybees - and perhaps even human health, warns a recent report from the European Environment Agency (EEA).

The Asian hornet - distinguishable by its dark colour and yellow feet - has already invaded France, almost wiping out its bee population and attacking humans.

It is thought the species arrived in south western France from the Far East in a shipment of Chinese pottery in late 2004.

They settled in the Aquitaine area, but spread rapidly along the waterways. Their arrival in Britain was predicted by Franck Muller of the Museum of National History in Paris back in February 2011, when he told the Daily Telegraph they would cross into Britain within "three to four years".

Over the past few years, several attacks on humans have been reported. In 2009, hundreds of the insects attacked a mother out walking with her five-month old baby in the Lot-et-Garonne department, before turning on a neighbour who ran over to help. They then pursued two passers-by and two Dutch tourists on bikes.

And, it seems, Asian hornets are not the only insects we will contend with in September. It seems wasps, which have been conspicuously absent over much of summer, will be back with a vengeance this month.

Matt Shardlow, of insect conservation trust Buglife, told The Sun: "This time of year the female workers, who have been busy raising the brood, run out of things to do as baby wasps reach full development.

"When this happens they get a taste for sugar and alcohol, bringing them into contact with people.

"Wasps should be treated with caution, particularly around their nests. Waft them away, don't swat. Wasps are belligerently defensive and if you annoy them then they will respond."

Several contributors in France have posted pictures of Asian Hornets bothering their hives this year but I have not heard any confirmed accounts of Asian Hornets in the UK..................unless you know differently??

The NBU is very busy looking out for the arrival of the asian hornet. I think that if there was a confirmed find then many of us would be inundated with e-mails via BeeBase.

I

The Asian hornet - distinguishable by its dark colour and yellow feet - has already invaded France, almost wiping out its bee population and attacking humans.

QUOTE]

I don't think so ...

Yes, they will probably get here eventually but that 23 to 70 miles of water is a pretty formidable deterrent to any insect looking to fly here for a new home. The bigger likelihood is that it will get transported here, inadvertently, on commercial or domestic transport and, hopefully, if we as beekeepers are aware of it, then any isolated pockets will be contained or, hopefully, eradicated.

Certainly our area with the Portsmouth Ferries is in the front line as is Dover and the other channel ports.

Relaxed a bit when I got to the point where the OP said " According to the Daily Mail" - flipping immigrant insects coming over here takin our bees!

Caution -many native hornets are OK

Both the Daily Mail and the Sun love bigging up stories to make them exciting and get an emotional reaction. Nothing delights the average journo (I should know, I am one) than a few column inches of killer swarms heading this way and causing mayhem.

We have lots of hornets in our garden. They are a not particularly common English breed with the tag "Harris" after their Latin name.
They look horrific, make lots of noise, but are totally unaggressive to humans and probably eat a lot of other insects (I admit, possibly bees, but I have plenty of those).

But I would hate everyone to start killing all hornets indiscriminately on the grounds that they might be Asian.

Let's wait for the NBU and its network of observers and inspectors before getting out the rolled up Daily Mail and going to war.

This must be a new breed of hornets as their method of transportation has changed.

As quoted from OP

"They then pursued two passers-by and two Dutch tourists on bikes."

This must be a new breed of hornets as their method of transportation has changed.

As quoted from OP

"They then pursued two passers-by and two Dutch tourists on bikes."

I remember my Mum once saw a rat going home in a taxi.

But anyway, though it may not quite have wiped out honeybees in France I do seem to remember an item on the news a couple of weeks ago about French beekeepers marching on Paris in protest at the lack of action of the French government.

Maybe we should blockade the ports? If a few French lorry drivers get a bit miffed well, touché.

Maybe we should blockade the ports? If a few French lorry drivers get a bit miffed well, touché.

Sorry but I likes my wine...and my frogs' legs.. and my snails...

(After all, the French are going to bomb Syria for us..)

Surely, you mean for the US......:patriot::patriot:

Never known the French do anything for us, apart from the aqueducts, the roads, the sewers............:leaving:
Oh sorry, :p that was the Romans!

Relaxed a bit when I got to the point where the OP said " According to the Daily Mail" - flipping immigrant insects coming over here takin our bees!

:icon_204-2:

false alarm, it was a standard european hornet, a case of mistaken identity

NBU issued the revised email today

Text quoted below.
Subsequent to the NBU’s email alert on 22/08/2013 titled ‘Suspect Sighting of Asian Hornet’ and following further investigations by the NBU; we have now been able to verify that this sighting was not the Asian Hornet, Vespa velutina, and in fact was the European Hornet, Vespa crabro.

We appreciate your continued vigilance on this matter and remind you that all suspect sightings should be reported to [email protected].

Both the Daily Mail and the Sun love bigging up stories to make them exciting and get an emotional reaction.
It is just about possible that some of their readers hadn't noticed.

Let's wait for the NBU and its network of observers and inspectors before getting out the rolled up Daily Mail and going to war.
Errr, actually the "network of observers" means YOU.
(And the rest of us.)

see a massive cloud of them heading your way today, honest!

Sorry but I likes my wine...and my frogs' legs.. and my snails...

Yuk to the three of them :puke:, give my a full English/Welsh breakfast and a roast dinner topped off with a pint of ale any day

Latest posts

Back