Swarms not walking into new WBC problem

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickbowyer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some hives and a few nucs
I have not previously had any problems with swarms walking into my national hives, even when new with foundation but recently have collected swarms for a mentee who has new WBC hives and on both occasions they seem to stall at entrance and cluster on outside of entrance. One we had to smoke to break cluster the next morning and in they went and with the other we founds cluster on ground outside hive the following morning and only induced then in once we had found queen and popped her in. Is this unusual with WBCs?

I have not previously had any problems with swarms walking into my national hives, even when new with foundation but recently have collected swarms for a mentee who has new WBC hives and on both occasions they seem to stall at entrance and cluster on outside of entrance. One we had to smoke to break cluster the next morning and in they went and with the other we founds cluster on ground outside hive the following morning and only induced then in once we had found queen and popped her in. Is this unusual with WBCs?

Drop them in. Walking in is for telly and those with time on their hands.

Drop them in. Walking in is for telly and those with time on their hands.

I would have put them straight in the top but new bee keepers like to see them walked in.

Back