Swarms in nuc boxes filling comb with nectar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
A couple of swarms I've collected in the last fortnight are fairly large and have drawn comb and filled it on all frames with nectar. I haven't fed them at all. I can't tell if the queens, which look pristine, are mated, though they are not small. Are the bees waiting for the queens to come into lay, and then make room? Or should I move these colonies into full hives? I don't have any nuc box supers.

A couple of swarms I've collected in the last fortnight are fairly large and have drawn comb and filled it on all frames with nectar. I haven't fed them at all. I can't tell if the queens, which look pristine, are mated, though they are not small. Are the bees waiting for the queens to come into lay, and then make room? Or should I move these colonies into full hives? I don't have any nuc box supers.
Move them into full hives in preparation for the queen to come into lay. Push some foundation into the middle and then up against the brood area when she starts laying.

Latest posts

Back