Swarms in August how odd

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have had my 2nd call out 4pm yesterday for a swarm having traveled 20 miles got to site just in time to see the sky turn black and a large ball of bees fly off into the sunset it was one of the biggest swarms I have seen? A swarm in may Bale of hay, a swarm in june silver spoon, a swarm in July not worth a fly. But a swarm in August ??????????????????????? any body got a clue.:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

Something like a pile of sawdust.
September is something to remember

No but just called out to a 'swarm' that had been there for 2 weeks and already has laying workers. Amazed at how easy it was (I think) to hive, seeing as no queen. Find out tonight if I have suceeded. Only half a mile from home and not my bees.

And! just seen/killed first wasp I've seen since Spring.

Excellent Sixfooter:.)

Swarm in October (Not when you're Sober)
VM

Locally, the notion of swarming is still upon many colonies.
I checked through most of my colonies/Nucs on Saturday to discover that I had lost a swarm out of a 6F Nuc (looks as if it swarmed on 2 frames of BIAS) and another from a colony in a full National hive that was yet to fully build up. So much for me leaving developing colonies alone to build up!! I'm not too worried about losing those swarms as I'll requeen with a strain that is less inclined to swarm....
I also discovered another colony with QCs which I knocked down - it has an unmarked Queen who I couldn't find on the day otherwise I would have removed her from the colony rather than knocking down QCs. Weather permitting I'll be going back this evening to split the house bees and brood from the foragers in an effort to find the queen. They are my worst tempered colony (located in an isolated out apiary) which makes inspecting them a chore and were already earmarked for re-queening from a batch of queens I have coming into lay.

No but just called out to a 'swarm' that had been there for 2 weeks and already has laying workers. Sixfooter:.)
Is that possible...the period is shortened in an apidea but six weeks or so under hive conditions? Only had LW in apideas...rest is book theory.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back