Swarms 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had two calls yesturday and had three this evening, I think a swam control course needs to be held down this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just picked up one from a friend. The blighters had got into a knot hole in the cladding on her shed/office. Took off some of the cladding, smoked the bees a lot. (Makeshift bit of hosepipe on the end of the smoker helped.) They went up to an inverted wine box with a bit of comb in it on the roof of the shed. Then put them into a nucleus box... which looks a bit stuffed with bees. Will check on them in a couple of days.

Make some honey is the plan :) came out a roof and is currently in a box awating pick up. Im tempted to put it on double brood, it is massive! I think there is a equal side collony still in the loft. Fingers crossed for more!

I appear to have a swarm which has moved into an old hive my mentor left in my garden...I noticed lots of bees around it yesterday morning before I went off to work. Today I opened it up to find it full of bees.....there's more bees in there than my nucleus! They definitely aren't my bees, mine a quiet and pale these are loud (they have the volume set at 11) and dark. As there were only a 8 old frames (and there were bees on all8)in there I have popped some new frames in there so the brood box is full.

My mentor said we were very very lucky, and to make sure I had a super ready.

The OH is frantically making me a stand for the old hive as it's currently sat on an old bucket and leant against the fence.

swarms

had a call about a swarm Friday morning. Boxed it and would collect in the evening, but it had gone an hour later. Friday evening picked up a small cast. Wednesday had a call about a swarm, had another beekeeper collect it, as I have run out of spare kit. Call about swarm in compost heap. Bumble bees, I assume. Bees everywhere this year. Including a massive swarm at the top of my plum tree (mine I think....)

My trusty wicker basket caught another swarm today, the 2nd this year and one last year. I have had it in the same place 15ft up a tree on the edge of a wood, with manky comb inside and a few drips of Lemongrass oil. All tips I picked up off here - so many thanks!

Caught another prime swarm last week which makes it 2 casts and 3 primes for this season from 3 bait hives. Chuffed with that.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well all I can say is what a year for them, fascinating reading this thread. Haven't heard of a summer like this for a good few years. Well done to all you catchers! All I can say is for everyone caught someone is losing one, and I bet they don't even know!
I wonder when the last one will come in! Taking bets?
E

well another round of swarms is now starting, we had a lull but we apeared to be starting phaseII, what an awfull year for swarms

we must also be dueanother batch of virgins from Bombus hypnorum thee tree bumblebee, so expect hundreds of call about them as well

well another round of swarms is now starting, we had a lull but we apeared to be starting phaseII, what an awfull year for swarms

we must also be dueanother batch of virgins from Bombus hypnorum thee tree bumblebee, so expect hundreds of call about them as well

true had no calls for 10 days then 2 today,, one had gone in a pillar 10 mins before I got there .. smoked them out and saw the queen,, picked her up and placed her in the nuc box.. just picked them up

The swarm from Tuesday night managed to produce a 3" x 4" piece of free comb and put eggs in it overnight while in their cardboard box. And, from Wednesday morning to Saturday afternoon draw half a box of foundation. they seem keen to make a go of it

Was called the day before yesterday about a swarm hanging in a tree near the a shopping centre in Newry. Arrived just after it had left. Got another call about a swarm yesterday about a swarm that had arrived in someones chimney two streets away. I assume it was the same one. Poor guys windows were black with bees. the bees were flying out of the fireplace black with soot then flying into the house. Got them anyway.

Latest posts

Back