Swarming.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all. So today we noticed a swarm happening. They swarmed to a tall tree over a few locations of branches.

I got a clean bucket and went up a ladder and shook the branches and poured th bees into a nuc.

The last batch of bees I left in the bucket to make their way to the nuc

Now. Is this the right approach?
The hive they swarmed from is still active it seems.
Should I check the existing hive?
Any advice would be great

Thanks

Also swarming can be and what I hope is the colony splitting?

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
your bees have swarmed with the queen that was in the hive leaving a shedload of queen cells (with more to come) they usually swarm when the first QC is sealed (day 8) so in a week's time, the first virgin will emerge and swarm with another load of bees (a cast) the next one will go with another lot of bees (Colt swarm) then a filly until there is hardly anything left in the hive.
You need to get in there, reduce the QCs to one good open one, then go in a few days later and remove any subsequent cells.

Hi all.
So i have inspected the hive and removed around 7 QC. We have left 2 as i wanted to check.
Am i best leave the QC closest to the middle of the hive? The 2 i have left are of different ages due to the size and colour so i know i need to remove one of them which i will do in 4 days time at the next inspection.

Thanks all for the help and the links.

You need to leave one open cell with a fat larva swimming in a pool of royal jelly. You know there is a larva in there and you know when your new queen is due to emerge.
Position? Well protected.

Reactions: Nbw

Latest posts

Back