swarming in Septmeber?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hive-got-bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I'm a beginner so forgive my question if it's daft- but is it possible for bees to swarm now? Loads of mine (around 150+) are clustered outside the hive, crawling about on the outside of it, some doing an odd shaking dance. The colony was raised this year from a nuc which had a year-old queen in it. I haven't noticed queen cells during inspections (tho I could've missed them).

I'm currently treating with apiguard and I've been feeding with sugar syrup. It's also very warm today in London and there's a lot of ivy flowering nearby. I've read that the bees may just be 'bearding' as they're overheated, but I've never seen them doing this before. If they are, is there anything I ought to do about that?

I'm currently treating with apiguard and I've been feeding with sugar syrup. It's also very warm today in London and there's a lot of ivy flowering nearby. I've read that the bees may just be 'bearding' as they're overheated, but I've never seen them doing this before. If they are, is there anything I ought to do about that?

I think you've answered your own question here. - apiguard, warm weather and ivy flow....shouldn't need to do anything.
Cazza

One of my hives also has a little cluster outside the hive at the moment.

Yes, quite possible. There've been a couple of swarms reported on here recently, and a local lady to me once had a swarm in November.

The books say they stop after July; but it just becomes less likely. If in doubt I would have a look inside (after all it's warm enough). Check for QC's.

Remember, they never read the books.

But is forming a small beard/cluster outside the hive a sign of swarming?

I am personally keen to check my hives out, but want to leave it for another couple of weeks so the apiguard gets its full whack. When I saw the little cluster this evening I didnt think that was a warning sign?

I am personally keen to check my hives out, but want to leave it for another couple of weeks so the apiguard gets its full whack. When I saw the little cluster this evening I didnt think that was a warning sign?

If it is, almost my entire apiary will be off very soon!
Cazza

Just went down to have another look, the cluster is almost totally broken up now, a few bees hanging on, and the girls are fanning at the entrance on both hives.

No, it probably isn't. I was answering your question about swarming.

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to check the hive today again, but I'm feeling more confident that they're just bearding. Fingers crossed!

Back