Swarming after Swarm Prevention/Control

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beemanbunty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have kept bees for the past 2 years, and successfully have prevented them from swarming. But this year after swarm prevention and control, they have swarmed. Why did this occur? Also I found a small cluster of bees under OMF with a new queen, and carefully housed them in a nuc, but to my amazement after checking a week later, the queen is not present, and only a handful of workers remain in the nuc. Any ideas what's going on?

I have kept bees for the past 2 years, and successfully have prevented them from swarming. But this year after swarm prevention and control, they have swarmed. Why did this occur?

We can't answer this because we don't know what you have done as swarm prevention and control

Also I found a small cluster of bees under OMF with a new queen, and carefully housed them in a nuc, but to my amazement after checking a week later, the queen is not present, and only a handful of workers remain in the nuc. Any ideas what's going on?

They didn't like the home you gave them, and left. Or the queen was actually from the hive you found her under (she had just undershot the entrance on returning from a mating flight) and she simply went back there and went in the entrance this time

What sort of swarm management did you employ and what exactly did you do?
Bees under omf? Maybe a virgin that didn’t make it back after mating and bees left

Latest posts

Back