Swarmed Stock

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'What do I do with a swarmed stock?'

Any advice would be helpful.

Hi Jimbee.

I assume it`s in a hive and not hanging in a tree still ?

What have you done with it so far ?

Darren.

Have you got the swarm? Or do you want to know about the parent stock?

PH

Hello... sadly I've only got half left...the other half is road kill after I got it from the plum tree last night, I re homed them in a nuc, but around 12pm today they uped and left again and headed onto a road sign outside the house. I've scooped up as much as I could from the swarm but I'm unsure the Queen has been killed or whether she is in the remainder of the swarm.

Jimbee

If I have this right you have a swarmed parent stock and a dubious half swarm?

Pop the swarm into a box of xome sort and time will tell.

Parent colony: go through and leave ONE open cell if you can and destroy the rest. Or if you want insurance for your swarm take of a nuc while you are at it, with a sealed cell to speed things up a few days) and that will help reduce their keeness to cast.

PH

Thank you for the speedy reply, very much appreciated. Brilliant advice.. That is what I am going to do now. Thank you again.
Jimbee

I've checked the hive, four sealed cell's and one opened cell..there is no sign of a marked queen, also no marked queen in swarm. I've dropped a frame of brood with 2 cells on into a nuc. shall I kill the other two?

Leave the OPEN cell yes. They need time to reduce the excitement.

Your nuc will need at least 3 frames of brood and a further couple of frames (of bees) shook in to give it a decent strength. Place it where you want, stuff in grass and leave them to it. In four days remove the grass though by them most likely they will have wormed through it and be flying. No matter there will be enough bees in there to make it viable.

PH

Latest posts

Back