Swarm under OMF

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Found what looks like a swarm under the OMF. The Q in the hive was clipped and I assumed they had tried to swarm but the Q didn’t make it and the swarm ended up below the OMF. Yet on checking the hive, she was in there… could she have crawled back in or is it another hives swarm… seems a bit of a coincidence. Inspected 6 days ago, saw Q then and no QC’s. Put the ‘swarm’ into a nuc.
Odd event anyone else had a swarm under a hive or any other explanation. I had taken 2 supers off but gave in exchange 2 extracted supers, so hive had space.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Have they made comb on the underneath?
I'd have tipped them into the hive first checking there was no queen in there

The Poot 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Only 2 now
I think Blackcloud may be right - I read it that the queen was in the hive. Need to check what’s happening in the nuc.

enrico 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Look in the bunch of bees under the omf to make sure there isn’t a queen in the bunch of bees under the omf Before tipping them in the hive they were under
Also check they are not underflying by missing the entrance. Once you get enough bees under there they start to think of it as part of the hive and can build comb just as they would above a queen excluder. It is the main fault with OMF floors. You need to put something down the front to stop them underflying.

blackcloud 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
I've had an omf with the mesh not fully stapled at the back,providing them with a second entrance.
Bees would congregate underneath..

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Odd event anyone else had a swarm under a hive
yes, a few times, picked up a swarm with a marked queen which had settled on a nuc with a newly mated queen in once and had swarms settle on the front of establisked hives with multiple supers on.

Robinredcar 

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I've just had the same thing, it appears there was a queen with it going to check today as they where very agitated when I removed the cluster and comb.
Interested to hear what's happened with yours, I'm pretty sure I've missed a queen cell when knocking them down to one after loosing a swarm.