Swarm under exisiting hive - removal/rehome

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splodge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi All

After some advice, after an unsuccesful attempt to move a swarm yesterday, the thunder and lighting (plus hail stones) did not probably help.

I have a swarm taken up residence underneath one of my existing hives, on the OMF. Unfortunately they are not the easiest to get to, due to the Cushman home made stand.

What is the best way to rehome them?

I have a spare brood box and floor, so was going to attempt to put this on its own stand and then put exisiting hive on top and drop them all straight in to this brood box. Is there a better way, just want to rehome them or get them to find a better home other than under neath one of the hives.

Have tried to move them before last week, but after settling in a box they then just moved back to underneath the hive.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

What is the best way to rehome them?

The usual problem with bees under the OMF is not a swarm, but part of the colony.

Are you sure there are two queens, one inside and one outside?

Move the hive into a new floor seems the simple solution, sorting the old floor afterwards.

If there are two colonies at the same point, I would be moving one of them away, for a holiday, three miles down the road.

If they have been there for a week there will be comb under there to sort out.

If you have no alighting board on the stand, adding one (or a panel across the front of an open stand) can reduce the number of bees that fly under the entrance and then waste effort trying to get in through the mesh.

I wonder, is the hive rather full of bees?

Thanks for the reply oliver90owner

So there could be just the queen in the main hive and these are extending the hive them selves?

Will check tonight if weather allows.

If you have no alighting board on the stand, adding one (or a panel across the front of an open stand) can reduce the number of bees that fly under the entrance and then waste effort trying to get in through the mesh.

I wonder, is the hive rather full of bees?

Hi they do have an alighting board on the stand to give them something larger to aim for.

The hive was very busy a few weeks ago, almost overflowing.

Did I miss time putting the super on, due to the nice weather we have been having do you think?

If they are overflow how do I get them to go back in?

Sorry for all the questions second year bee keeper and I just want to do it right!

Thanks for the reply oliver90owner

So there could be just the queen in the main hive and these are extending the hive them selves?

Will check tonight if weather allows.

Slide the varroa board under for a few days. Ensure there is enough space in the hive. Report back :).

Hi Splodge,
I had supposedly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Found the solution on this forum 2008 Oliver. My hive was very active with orientation flights which were expected but not at 1000 hrs. However, I knew it was something up as they did not seem happy either. Took some time to figure it out for a newbie, but I found a big 'swarm' under the hive. After double checking with our local bee inspector it worked out as follows:- Young bees coming back from first foraging undershot the landing board and because of OMF they get stuck under it for some time as they can smell the queens pheromones. Was advised to put board at the front of hive under landing board to block the gap. In the morning they were all back in. As you, I had removed them once and put them in front of hive, but they went back under. Try this first! Lots of luck.

Hi Splodge,
I had supposedly the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Found the solution on this forum 2008 Oliver. My hive was very active with orientation flights which were expected but not at 1000 hrs. However, I knew it was something up as they did not seem happy either. Took some time to figure it out for a newbie, but I found a big 'swarm' under the hive. After double checking with our local bee inspector it worked out as follows:- Young bees coming back from first foraging undershot the landing board and because of OMF they get stuck under it for some time as they can smell the queens pheromones. Was advised to put board at the front of hive under landing board to block the gap. In the morning they were all back in. As you, I had removed them once and put them in front of hive, but they went back under. Try this first! Lots of luck.

Thanks beeno, sounds easy enough to try.
Cant believe I have low flying bees!

Your initial post did nothing to persuade me one way or the other - there could be a queen under and no queen inside. Only you will know the history that might give a clue as to that possibility

Well went back last night and the bees had gone from underneath the hive.

I still covered up the stand below the hive opening, just in case that stops it happening again.

Added another second super below the first super, to give them more room.

The hive I tried to move them to during the storm Sunday, did have more bees than last time. Unless I am just hoping to see more.

Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back