Swarm Traps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I was wondering if anyone had tried one of these so-called swarm traps with any success that are advertised on the 'largest beekeeping retailer's' web site?

There seems to be an abundance of threads on swarm prevention and "oh my gosh....she's a gonna blow any moment" type stuff.....I just wondered if these would be useful if someone wasn't going to be around during the day to be there when it happened?

Cris

You are allowed to mention the names of these shops on this forum :cheers2:

Take a step back and rather than trying to catch her (the swarm) as they are about to leave, a few simple steps maybe a week before they swarm (gear-up to) will reduce to almost zero the chnace of a swarm.

This is what beekeeping is all about!

Forgive me - I wasn't insinuating that I was thinking about using one - just interested in knowing whether anyone had any experience of them?

Admin - do you normally pop a QE under the brood box if you think that a swarm is likely? Seems quite a prudent way of keeping them in to my mind.

Admin - do you normally pop a QE under the brood box if you think that a swarm is likely? Seems quite a prudent way of keeping them in to my mind.

I know of members that do,I have been lucky so far this year and managed to keep in front of my bee's up to a point so have not used one.

The QE also keeps the drones in so when you remove it you find a whole pile of dead drones with their heads poking through the gaps.
One thing i noticed last year that just before swarming the bees started doing something unusual. They had never been in the house though we had the conservatory and doors open. Then we suddenly found about a dozen bees flying in the house - of course they were scouting for a possible new home weren't they.

I find that as well Geoff,I get them in the shed while I am putting the foundation on the super frames,not just one or two like when the suns out but eight to ten on average having a scout.

I have a bait hive at a site some 300 yards from my hives. Today I was cutting the bracken and noticed a couple of scouts having a good look. Only one other beekeeper (as far as I know) within range. We have had thunderstorms daily for the last 3 days so unable to look at my bees but first decent day they will get a thorough check.
Mike

Back