Swarm Times?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Does there become a time at the end of the season when a swarm is not likely to happen?

I have never seen one after the start of november,but I suppose if you put enough trays of Apiguard in a hive before they cluster they would all leave.

With todays higher than normal temps I would not be suprised to hear of a swarm or two around on the forum.

I was told at my local association that it was unlikely after the end of August... but that one lady had had a swarm in July.

i wish......been waiting all season for a swarm to head my way.....better luck next year.:nopity::nopity::nopity:

"I collected a prime-Sept 21st -on 8 frames- it is doing well."

had they taken the frames with them? i thought it was just the bees that left the hive?

Doc- we must meet up over a drink! I love smartiepants....:smilielol5:

Actually I put them- from the collection box -into a 5frame nuc- too small- so rehived them into an 11 frame National- To give them a little help I gave a dollop of pollenpaste too- all munched -and queen going great guns.

Babybeeboy- where are you - maybe I can help next Spring. My earliest this year was March. I had about 25 calls to collect.

Oh bum- just seen - Liverpool..(and me from over the water originally!). next Spring I am hoping to take 3 swarm colonies up to my brother near Blackburn to get him off the mark.. so keep in touch

Last edited:
Tread carefully- you don't know where we originated from...:toetap05: - and he aint Yorkshire- so is fine - still calling a spade a shovel up there...

True, I don't know where you come from, except you live in posh Sussex now.:)

thank you for that offer heather, i already have two colony's, one is on 12x14 looking strong and the other is on standard BB and on about 8 frames so hopefully both will do well through the winter, the challenge of capturing a swarm was a part of me getting into beekeeping, so still a little bit of the hunter gatherer in me!!!!!! :blush5:

Oh bum- just seen - Liverpool..(and me from over the water originally!). next Spring I am hoping to take 3 swarm colonies up to my brother near Blackburn to get him off the mark.. so keep in touch

Hey Heather keep off my patch or you will need the Doc lol

My swarm arrived the day I was due to collect my nuc..they moved into the hive where the nuc was going to be re-housed...had do do a fast bit of building.

I know that normally a swarm leaves the hive en-masse but when my swarm moved in they sort of casually drifted in and out from early in the morning,is this how they normally do it?

i guess not as many hives as some places but local beek club reasonably active, just a case of not being in the right place at the right time:mad:

Collected a large swarm last week (01/10). A family had returned from a weeks holiday to find the swarm in a tree by the entrance to the house. Bees flying everywhere so please could I move them at once!!!
They are now housed in a nuc box and feeding rapidly but their fate will depend on how hard the winter will be.

Latest posts

Back