swarm swarming help

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenpug

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
none at the moment but will be getting langstroth
Hi I caught a large swarm in my garden last night (not my bees) so i put them in a nuc box this morning they had gone to the same branch in the same tree so i caught them up again and put them into a national brood box with a little drawn out comb (about 3 frames) and some sugar syrup on
Just gone up to have a quick look to see how they are doing in time to see them swarm again and landing/clustering on the fence
What do i do try again with the brood box or just let them bugger off :sos::sos::sos::sos::sos:

You could try a queen excluder under the brood box for 2/3 days.

Rich

If you have another colony that can spare a frame of brood that is supposed to anchor them - it can always be returned later if the swarm is healthy.

Rich

If you have another colony that can spare a frame of brood that is supposed to anchor them - it can always be returned later if the swarm is healthy.

Rich

Thanks Rich so back on with the bee suit and try again :thanks::ohthedrama:

Don't know much but did you smoke the swarm sites afterwards to remove the pheromones?

I see you've given them drawn comb- swarms like to build comb, swap it for foundation.

put them into a national brood box with a little drawn out comb (about 3 frames) and some sugar syrup on
DON'T feed them syrup on capture.

You are only refuelling them for the next leg of the journey!

Last edited:
got my bee suit on ready to do battle took the lid off the brood box to dump them in AGAIN but the original swarm were still there so a quick check around my other hives and they are all fine so this was not the swarmed swarm but a new one
This is the 4th swarm i have caught in my garden in under a week so someone must have a very depleted apiary somewhere

Latest posts

Back