Swarm returned to original hive next morning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeconcerned

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives swarmed yesterday, quite a big swarm. I collected the swarm which had only gone about 10 metres and put them into a super (all I had) which had a full set of drawn frames. This morning before 9 there was a lot of activity on the landing board of the original hive, with plenty of bees with their bums up fanning. Not long after the swarm piled out of the super and over about 5 minutes all returned about 5 meters to the hive they had come from.

Is this unusual, what about the 2 queens, and what should I do next?

Is this unusual,

Of course it is unusual!

what about the 2 queens

No idea. May only be one by now!

what should I do next

Check the hive!

RAB

Thanks for your answers.

I don't think the queen was damaged or killed by anything I did. It was a simple shake collection from a low branch and a walk-in transfer to the super so I think she must have been there then. I have looked at the floor under the empty super and there are a few dead workers and wax flakes but no queen there.

Nothing in my books about this if this is unusual what am I looking for if I check the hive?

I have heard and read about this happening, but on every occasion I know about the queen had died or been injured during the swarming process.

I am very interested to hear this as just to day I had an exact experience.

This morning visually checked the hive as I do most mornings. Returned mid morning to find a large cloud of bees and a swarm in a dwarf apple tree some 25ft from the main hive, they were at head height.

Wow thinks I! my first real swarm to collect. Having all the equipment to hand as its in my garden I swing into action.

Collected swarm by dropping them into a plastic tub and then drop them into the hive, replace frames of foundation. Close up and feel very smug.

Mate turns up and we chat. 1.1/2 hrs later bees are airborne in increasing numbers.

Clearly not so cleaver after all! but notice that the hive behind the garage has a large cloud of bees around it. On investigation the bees are clustering on the front and clearly moving into the hive, I did examine their activity and there did not seem to be any fighting.

Set up spare hive next to main and left them to it, guess there going to do what there going to do!

Got the books out as it did not seem to make any sense.

Whole time line was 10.30am found swarm within hr the swarm was in new hive every thing settled down by 12 ish bees on the wing and by 1.30 all quiet and their back in the main hive, been keeping an eye on them off and on all afternoon and the hive is quite happy by their activity via the front door.

Original cluster was approx 4ltr by volume excludes the bees on the wing.
When I first found them there were quite a number of birds clearly having a feeding fest.

My thinking was a possible matting flight but I have no knowledge of how many bees would accompany the queen on one.

Or loss of queen as has been suggested. The hive is quite settled and activity seems normal they are un aggressive, they had been a bit tetchy this last 2 inspections which I had put down to less than ideal weather conditions etc.

Like Beeconcerned any suggestions on a course of action, or what to look out for would be welcomed. None of the books I have seem to cover this situation.

Regards philip

Nothing in my books about this if this is unusual what am I looking for if I check the hive?

Err, anything unusual, of course!

RAB

....like queencells - open. sealed and emerged
.....like queen(s)
...like something upsetting the bees - like terrible varroa or mice damage

Tell us what you find. I'm interested.

Reporting back as requested :)
Well, my swarm story continued as follows.
After the swarm had gone back into the parent hive the hive behaved as normal for an hour or so. I was just about to inspect it when bees poured out and they set off again swarming. This time they went further an were high up in a hawthorn tree in a neighbours hedge. It was difficult to collect them, a long ladder job and they were on 3 thick branches Anyhow, after brushing an waiting I ended up with what seemed like more bees than yesterday, and so far they have stayed in the same super I put them in yesterday.

It seems like they only returned to the hive for a pit stop maybe to fill up with more honey? I can't find anything about this in the books either. :confused:

I haven't had time to check the parent hive yet.

If your Q was clipped, bees quickly discover that she has been left behind. No Q, no means of propogation, so they may just as well return to the cosy hive as stay up in a tree. A temporary respite of course.

I don't clip my queens :)

Does a swarm form a normal cluster if it leaves without a queen?
The swarm behaved like a usual swarm yesterday and when it was collected and hived.

I don't clip my queens :)

Does a swarm form a normal cluster if it leaves without a queen?
The swarm behaved like a usual swarm yesterday and when it was collected and hived.

Yes they form a normal cluster if they swarm and have a clipped queen,but not for long usually, as they realise they don't have the queen with them and return to the hive, ten to twenty minutes is about normal,but i have had one swarm at 10.30 am and remain in a cluster at the top of a high tree until 8.30 pm before returning to the hive they came from...if the clipped queen is lost they will then swarm again, with an even bigger swarm with the first virgin queen to emerge....if nothing is done to prevent it of course.

The first swarm were away from their parent hive from 11.30 until 9 the next day, and they had added wax to the drawn combs in the super I housed them in, they were busy foraging and were even bringing in pollen. I can only agree with you about it being a queen problem, but it didn't look like it!

Anyhow, second time lucky I hope. They are still there this morning, and I must sort out a proper brood box and foundation. I must also look at the parent hive, but it is back to winds and rain here today.

Latest posts

Back