Swarm removal from chimneys

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lusklabs

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Just curious to know what you do when you get asked to remove a swarm from a chimney.

Do you recommend calling pest control ?

I have absolutely no experience of this but I would call my local bee keeping folk as I would worry the pest control people may destroy it and there may be "another way"!

Floss

lusklabs , there many ways of getting bees out of a chimney
1, if its a fresh swarm with no wax, lite a smokey fire in the grate and they will fly off somewhere else, as with modern fires they are removed or gas so drill a hole into the chimney but not the gas flue and push smoke into it

2. stick a big (1metre square net )bag over the chimney and catch the bees in to that and then remove them else where
3, chimney cleaning rods and a brush, becarful as what come down will not be happy
4 scafold to the roof remove chimney pot and reach inside
5 climb into loft and cut out several bricks to make an access point and work from there( did this one several weeks ago no fire places and no chimney roof access)

this with me or have we fell a sleep yet
if you can think of any more ways it just takes some side ways thinking thats all

first of all establish that the caller actually owns the chimney in question.

I have been there...and they didn't. smoke goes up from said chimney, bees are in adjacent one... the neighbours...LOL

PH

i have done several this year alone more and more cimneys in brum get closed off at the bottom but they never ever seal the tops off. lazy builders scared of heights, so i seam to get more and more , but most of the time the costs are easily out weighed by a can of fly spray

the last tip with doing any work like this evan if its for a friend is do you realy have to do it from the top
most of my jobs are done from the floor

Back