Swarm relocation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salamagundy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thanks in advance for any explanations or advice you may be able to give me!

Background: For the last couple of years I have set up a bait hive about 100m from my apiary (sited there because it's the only flat(ish) roof I have at about 15ft above the ground.) I've had two swarms move in (probably both from the same apiary further down the valley) and had the same experience with both swarms: On the day the swarms arrived I closed them in late in the evening, relocated them 100m to the apiary, opened up, put obstacles in front of the entrance and left them to it. By breakfast the following morning about half the bees had returned to the original bait hive site. (Others were reorientating in front of the hive at the new site.) This seems to go against the generally held wisdom I've read that bees do not relocate during the swarm process and that you can therefore ignore the 3ft/3mi rule. I've caught a few swarms straight out of the hive before they moved to their new home and this has always proved to be the case, but with these two.... I put a nuc on the original bait hive site to collect the bees. After taking a quick look they pretty much ignored the box, preferring to sit outside until I put a frame of brood in. That worked a treat. I then closed them in and took them to the out-apiary about five miles away where they are busy drawing queen cells.

1. Is there a difference between the relocation instinct at the two outside stages of swarming, i.e. 1. while sitting on a nearby branch/post/wing mirror and 2. after heading off and taking up residence in their new home, or are these bees peculiar?
2. What is the minimum time required at the out-apiary before these bees can be brought back and recombined with their sisters?

Thanks!

How sure are you of the time they swarmed/moved into the bait box?

I've always taken the 80ll0ck5 about covering the entrance with a pinch of salt!
Those in favour of this method are often tight lipped about what happens back at the original location.
With statements like not many were visible (two or three days later in the long grass)!

If you relocate the captured swarm the same day there shouldn't be a problem.
It's more likely that you notice the bees after they have actually swarmed.

Thanks Martin!

I'm sure about the time they arrived to within ten minutes - 9:30am (earliest swarm ever to arrive here by a long way, but it was very warm) and I moved them at just after 10pm, so they were in the bait box for just over twelve hours.

I think I'll leave them at the out-apiary for another couple of days (four in total), bring them back, recombine them and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back