Swarm queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If you took a swarm would you requeen to try and prevent swarms in the future or would you wait to see what good points the swarm has?

My mentor was called about a local swarm and took me to learn (this was 2 years ago in Juneish, he offered me the swarm but I had no hives at the time so he had it instead and it turned out to be his best performing colony of that year, I don't know what has happened to it since then, but it was a good opportunity that I sadly wasn't able to take up, the swarm he collected later in the year and gave me when I had a hive, turned out to be evil little blighters :)

We've done a bit of both - re-queened because some were a bit 'Bitey'! The strongest colony we have left now, is the original Swarm Queen.

I would not re-queen a swarm. If the bees are not happy with the original queen that came with them then they will supersede her in early autumn.
This can be a bit 'iffy as the new queen needs to mate and begin to lay before the cold weather sets in. Then the following year she should do the business.

Regards;

An after thought about "Lively bees". When I hear of beekeepers whatever experience I wonder if the bees are really lively or is it bad handling?

Last edited:
My best colony is one I caught as a swarm in early June 2007, they are going into the winter still headed by the same queen.

An after thought about "Lively bees". When I hear of beekeepers whatever experience I wonder if the bees are really lively or is it bad handling?

I also think it maybe just after a harvest that they get a bit miffed when inspected.

I am lucky that I have seen a VERY good lady beekeeper from our club inspect and have tried to emulate her.

Yup, could be! Im a complete novice, this is my first year. However, they even chased the Bee Inspector, and followed him to his car!

It is true Bcrazy that we can all continue to learn.. and we beginners are more prone to make mistakes, for example examining the bees when it is about to rain, which is guaranteed to get them going.

On the other hand the experience of not always being beleived is not that comfortable either. My mentor said I should petrol my bees and the bee inspector, said the same thing to me as to Widdershins.. in short that they were vicious.

Beginners aren't always wrong about the temperament of their bees, partly perhaps because they have less control over swarming and therefore are more likely to end up with mongrels.

That was strong words Bcrazy and is guaranteed to get a few replies.

Can you give an example of what you have seen that would be bad handling?

Yup, could be! Im a complete novice, this is my first year. However, they even chased the Bee Inspector, and followed him to his car!
They had some brains then. bee inspectors work for defra,was maff,but then foot and mouth hit the country,which they knew about four months before,answer was to burn everthing,then change names to defra,and say thats nothing to do with us that was maff,ha ha same people. still is.

Last edited:
They had some brains then. bee inspectors work for defra,was maff,but then foot and mouth hit the country,which they knew about four months before,answer was to burn everthing,then change names to defra,and say thats nothing to do with us that was maff,ha ha same people. still is.

That post made me laugh.

Dont get me started on the foot and mouth MAFF **** up!

Spot on Hivemaker, hope you wern't one of those that never got paid.

I try all the time to keep on my apiary quality. Things are bad if unknown swarm is better than my queens.

I renew every year all queens. One thing is prevent swarming.

Better qualities may be caused by crossing power. I must know the backround of my queens if I take queens from them. Swarm is not good start.

It's a fair comment Bcrazy and one which deserves some thought, and I have thought the same thing myself many times (is it me? . . . . what am I doing wrong?) but I was that year given 2 lots of bees - the swarm and then another friend/mentor gave me a nuc, the next year (last) the nuc built up really well, tried to swarm (they were from the west country) so I made an AS, and that built up really well over the summer and I had no trouble at all with them at all, but the others always stung.

Latest posts

Back