swarm prevention thought

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garethjbarry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Quick one which I havent seen in a book. Why cant / dont people put a qx under the brood box to prevent swarming?

Simpler to put a piece over the entrance.

I like the led idea! Whats the cons of using qx?

Good point. Thanks all, just need to come up with a drone escape door that the queen cant get out of.....easy

No. You can't thwart powerful natural instincts. You have to learn to work in advance of and with the bees.

Ddnt someone say they had done this due to illness and it worked?

sure fire way of knackering up your colonies. may be ok as a short term emergency 'sticking plaster' measure but if it were that simple don't you think it would be the generally accepted method by now instead of faffing around with Demmarree and Pagden manoeuvres?

sure fire way of knackering up your colonies. may be ok as a short term emergency 'sticking plaster' measure but if it were that simple don't you think it would be the generally accepted method by now instead of faffing around with Demmarree and Pagden manoeuvres?

Yep .... if it works in beekeeping it's probably already recommended somewhere ... if it isn't recommended then it's probably been tried and didn't work ... we keep seeing square wheels on here, earlier this week we had diatomaceous earth as a possible varroa treatment !! That won't work either ...So - keep thinking about your beekeeping ... but not down this particular blind alley.

Think here very simply. Say to yourself. 'Wouldn't this have been tried before?' 'Am I the first to think of this?'

The answers to these simple questions might have prompted a little more thought and may have yielded a self determined solution or more determined investigation

I liked the idea of sticking a small piece of metal foil to the thorax of the queen and finding her with a magnet but the best bit was a magnetic strip across the top of the hive entrance and if they tried to swarm you knew where she was.

I liked the idea of sticking a small piece of metal foil to the thorax of the queen and finding her with a magnet but the best bit was a magnetic strip across the top of the hive entrance and if they tried to swarm you knew where she was.

Agree,
Great idea, and no need for clipping queen either. If was made in a way that it could be put on entrance just for swarming season,
just like mouse guard for winter.
Sharon

Love Beekeeping <3

I know beekeepers who do that. And what happens...one guy 10 miles away from me is just doing so. Another guy wrote on forum that he has lost that way 5 laying queens, this summer

- The queen become slimmer and stop laying. New bees are needed for main yield...but
- A virgin emerge and kills the old queen.
- Bees not forage. They wait for swarming.
- one day swarm is gone, but how, it is a mystery.

That happens when you brake the queen cells and you just delay swarm escaping.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back