Swarm prevention in Double Brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turls2201

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2x national and 2x 14x12 plus a nucs
Hi All

Have a hive that we set up earlier with double brood (also now with two supers) and at last inspection there was the start of queen cells.

What is the best option to prevent them swarming? Would like to go back to single brood as well. Am i right in thinking that just splitting the two broods will not in fact prevent swarming as the boxes are full already? Was thinking we may have to split 3 ways - 2 hives and a nuc?

Hope that make sense.

Thanks All

Ian

Ps we are still quite new and continuing our trial and error adventure - hence trying double brood!

I'm not sure single brood is an option, do you? Your queen is obviously quite prolific so one box will not be enough?
Nuc the queen and separate the boxes making sure you equalise the bees will certainly give you breathing space while you think what to do or you could continue to run double brood. Lots of people do

We could, yes...but is swarm prevention method just the same as with a single - ie split off/damaree ? I think that is half my question really - will splitting the boxes help in swarm management but am guessing not...

Splitting the boxes will give you three colonies. Do you want three? What happens next year?
There's no difference in swarm management between a double and a single brood. The nuc'd queen is one colony the AS another.

So treat it like single and use same approach - (y)

The boxes may be 2 or 5, and it is always same method when you see swarm cells. The thing is to cut swarming fever and get the old queen lay again and produce bees for summer.

Move the hive 3 metres to side and make an AS hive with foundations onto the old place. Do not split the hive more. With splitting you destroy the honey yield of this year. Ypu did not even tell, how full of bees those 2 boxes are and how many frames brood.

When you have got swarming fever off from boath hive parts, join the hives to get honey yied.

It takes one week when new queens start to emerge. Before that you must handle the swarming fever of the brood hive, that cast swarm foes not escape.

Last edited:
Yes. Nuc queen. Retain one good looking QC with a a larva and lots of royal jelly. Mark frame. Brush bees off to check for any more. Shake bees off the other frames and remove ALL other QCs. Go back in a week to remove all the emergency cells the bees will make. Leave alone for three weeks.
Keep an eye on the stores in the nuc as they will have no foragers for a while

Thanks all - plan in place - only downside is garden is rammed full of bee and hives now :-D - all the fun to be had!

Latest posts

Back