Swarm Prevention -Demaree method - Queen has flown!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently carried out the Demaree method of swarm prevention, and also expansion of a new hive (Queenless). The old hive with 1 frame of brood and queen got the flying bees back and is going great.

The new hive which had brood and non flying bees then created some nice queen cells. Sadly this hive swarmed and half the bees left without me catching it. Now this hive has bees and lots of food but no eggs being laid.
I have put a new frame of eggs in from another hive to see if they create a queen cell, to prove if or not there is a non laying queen.

Question: Would it be far simpler to introduce a new queen from the internet? Maybe not a question for the Purists!

I'd try the test frame first, as there's a possibility you have a virgin queen in there or a mated queen thats not come onto lay yet......

Never assume you are queenless. Always use a test frame first.

Near all lost on introduction queens are because there ALREADY was a queen of some sort in the hive.

PH

Latest posts

Back