Swarm obsessed bees despite low numbers??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,
I had a the bee inspector round (due to AFB in the area) and he found 3 Q (I sealed, 1 unsealed, 1 empty) cells in my colony that swarmed 3 weeks ago. This colony already has a laying new Q and there were lots of eggs present today. There is also loads of room and empty cells galore for laying and stores, so I really don't understand why they're thinking of swarming again?!!

The bee inspector was equally puzzled and suggested it may be a supercedure, but do bees ever raise more than one Q cell for supercedure?

I would be grateful for any advice. I don't really want to artificially swarm them as there will be hardly any bees left in either colony! Should I destroy these cells and then if they are really intent on supercedure/swarming they can use other eggs to do this? Or should I adopt a wait & see approach (although this may end up in swarming so I might lose lots of bees)? They are on 14x12.

Thanks!

I would destroy the cells for a few weeks just to impress on them that they are there to stay. Try to do it every five days!!

You can clip the queens wing(s) to keep any bees if she does choose to go.

If queencells continue, my guess is that there's something wrong with the queen that we can't make out, so they are replacing her. If she does settle down after repeated culling of queencells, there's probably a good chance that she won't see a year out.

(With repeated queencell removal she might just go anyway).

Do bees ever raise more than one Q cell for supercedure?
yes. AND you never know if it going to be supercedure or swarm...

do bees ever raise more than one Q cell for supercedure?

Yes. There were apparently only two? The sealed cell could be a dud.

They may be superceding because the queen is faulty in some way or, apparently, just because her pheromone output is low.

If they only swarmed three weeks ago the new queen is doing remarkably well - only two weeks old and already has sealed cells - that is going some!

Are you sure these cells are her brood?

Sorry, but time line doesn't add up too well. Is there other open/cappedbrood present?

RAB

Thanks all for the advice. I will destroy these ones and see if they make any more and if so, will let them supercede as I guess they know best - will also clip the Q as suggested.
I've been in hospital for the past few weeks so the bee inspections have fallen to my husband who isn't that experienced - therefore I haven't seen firsthand everything that's gone on. He did manage to capture the swarm 3 weeks ago though which made me proud! :)

Where does the one cell for supercedure come from there can be as many as a half dozen to 8 even.

Your inspector should know this..............

PH

Re-queen with a good non swarming strain.

I had a colony that just swarmed and swarmed in my first season of beekeeping. Every time a new queen started laying, they started plotting their departure. Some bees are just pre-disposed to swarming. And I guess with the price of nucs these days, there is a tendency for some breeders to select on this characteristic as it makes them more income per season ... call me cynical :beatdeadhorse5:

Some bees are just pre-disposed to swarming. And I guess with the price of nucs these days, there is a tendency for some breeders to select on this characteristic as it makes them more income per season :

:iagree:
A point I made some time ago

Latest posts

Back