Swarm moving help wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Hi folks,

I caught a swarm in a bait hive in my garden yesterday.
Due to the wife's stipulations, I am not allowed to keep bees in the garden, but I can have bait hives there.

So last night, I plugged them all in and moved them to their permanent site about 100yards down the road.

I thought this would be fine as they'd only gone in that day and so shouldn't have had time to orientate.

Anyway, today there were about 200 bees flying in the garden where the bait hive was. I put another empty hive there with a few frames of foundation for them to go into and they are in there as I speak.

Now, my dilemna, I considered moving this hive up to where I have moved my swarm, banging them in and letting them be, BUT will they fly back again to the garden site anyway????

With that in mind, I have a nuc which I have just got and I put this nuc where the original bait hive was and moved the hive with the stragglers a little few metres away....will the straggler bees join with the new nuc???

Any help gratefully received............

There is a sugestion of using somthing like "shake and vac" to mask/hide the sent.

So late on the evening, seal them in then dust the location with said product.

Yes they might and will fly back, but the sence will be gone.

Another point to consider is sealing there new location entrance up with grass. By the time they have dug their way out they will have sorted this out as their ne wlocation.

Another point to consider is sealing there new location entrance up with grass. By the time they have dug their way out they will have sorted this out as their ne wlocation.

Seal which one up with grass sorry?

The new nuc in the bait hive site, or the empty hive with the stragglers that I moved a few feet aside.

Seal them in when you have moved them to your

"permanent site about 100yards down the road."

Latest posts

Back