swarm lure/ lemongrass oil

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
Hi all
I've used swarm lures in the past with success but never tried lemongrass oil. Is it as good or better? Am I wasting my money on more expensive lures?
oh and do you think last years lure would still work?? Opinions please.
Ta
Cazza

I have used both in the past and only ever caught swarms with the lemongrass oil.

But is that down to the lure or luck? More luck I suspect / location/time of year/ many other factors rather than just which lure you use.

But I still will add a few drops of lemongrass to my bait hives this year, and also cross my fingers and throw some salt over my shoulder! etc etc etc

I have found that the lemongrass oil certainly generates a lot of interest from scouting bees. I also noticed when collecting a swarm last year that there were bees clumping around geraniums, away from the main collection of bees- somebody will probably be able to confirm, but this may mimic a pheremone of some form.

Hardy geraniums or the other kind? (In case I try mushed up geraniums!!):ack2:
Cazza

last year that there were bees clumping around geraniums, away from the main collection of bees- somebody will probably be able to confirm, but this may mimic a pheremone of some form.

The geraniol in Nasanov Pheremone.

Adam

How do you apply lemongrass oil to a bait hive?

Is it just one or two drops the wall of the hve?

Darren.

I read somewhere that if you melt some wax with a few drops of lemon grass oil and paint this inside the box it works well, I've tried it in one of mine so we'll see.

In the rest I'll just put a few drops of lemon grass oil inside and around the entrance.

Si,

Light bulb time! I have a good friend who is an aromatherapist, who is coming over to England in around 10 days - I shall email her immediately with a few details, and see what she can knock up (just Googled Nasonov, and found the simple essential oil recipe.......) :hurray:

Cazza, how long was last years lure exposed and did you re-freeze after use? If the answers are 2/3 months between May & July and I left it hanging around the garage over the winter then I would suggest Thornes would like your money!

No he's been busy on his beekeepers lure and has attracted over 2,000 so far.

Cazza, how long was last years lure exposed and did you re-freeze after use? If the answers are 2/3 months between May & July and I left it hanging around the garage over the winter then I would suggest Thornes would like your money!

How did you know! (Well the cupboard under the stairs, in case the garage became irresistible to bees.)
Cazza

Latest posts

Back