Swarm in Bromley Kent?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cracknut

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi there, I am a newbie in bee keeping, however I have joined the local bee keeping association and learning fast. I am keen to get started as part of the learning experience. Does anyone recommend getting a swarm for a newbie? If so, does anyone know a swarm that I can get my hands on in Bromley/Kent? Keen to keep local bees. : )

Thank you so much for the swift reply. I will do this Sunday. Setting a bait sounds really interesting. I have a flow hive already in the garden, try to put some lemongrass essential oil at the entrance. No luck so far. Are there other ways of setting baits?

Thank you so much for the swift reply. I will do this Sunday. Setting a bait sounds really interesting. I have a flow hive already in the garden, try to put some lemongrass essential oil at the entrance. No luck so far. Are there other ways of setting baits?
Read the linked thread especially JBMs link to Tom Seeley

Are there other ways of setting baits?
Works best with a solid floor, very small entrance, old kit that smells of bee and a few old combs; a new hive and frames will not be not so attractive.

You may be lucky with a freebie, but don't count on it. Swarms are often the outcome of a beginner beekeeper paying £250 for a nuc, not getting up to speed with management and watching half the colony go down the road in June.

To a swarm collector that's a valuable asset which could be built up for the following year, barring bad temper and disease.

Last edited:
Works best with a solid floor, very small entrance, old kit that smells of bee and a few old combs; a new hive and frames will not be not so attractive.

You may be lucky with a freebie, but don't count on it. Swarms are often the outcome of beginner beekeepers paying £250 for a nuc, not getting up to speed with management and watching half the colony go down the road in June.

To a swarm collector that's a valuable asset which could be built up for the following year, barring bad temper and disease.
Thank you, will speak to the association and see if in can get some old bits and some combs perhaps from them tomorrow :)

Thank you, will speak to the association and see if in can get some old bits and some combs perhaps from them tomorrow :)

Your call, but I wouldn't bring anyone else's old comb into my hives, for disease management reasons (unless I absolutely had to e.g. I was buying a nuc of bees)

Yes that is very true! Disease is a big consideration...... hmmm how do people get started? What are you best recommendation of getting started as soon as possible?

Yes that is very true! Disease is a big consideration...... hmmm how do people get started? What are you best recommendation of getting started as soon as possible?
I bought an overwintered nuc and a current year nuc later in the summer. You really need two colonies.
You can buy nucs on Langstroth frames or even simpler a package. Both should be available later this year.
It would let you build the colonies up this year, take them through the winter and get geared up for some honey next year.
Don’t try to run before you can walk with the bees. Forget any significant amount of honey for this year.
See if somebody in your local association might mentor your first year

B
Buy a nuc and put out a bait hive, you only need some wax foundation and may get lucky. Ad some lure as well

Last edited:
recommendation of getting started as soon as possible?
Start slowly: your first purchase should be 2kg of patience; if you can't afford it, bees will teach you how to make your own. Beekeeping is a long game with a short seasonal window of opportunity to learn: give it 3-5 years to become competent.
It would let you build the colonies up this year, take them through the winter and get geared up for some honey next year. Don’t try to run before you can walk with the bees.
This is sound: beginners come unstuck at three points in the year: swarming, varroa and over-wintering. Manage the first and you'll build strong colonies; manage the second in late summer and they'll be healthy; manage the third - which means (broadly) providing sufficient stores - and you'll have colonies that'll make honey in 2022.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back