swarm in box with QE under What next pls!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok so after various problems and still alot of questions (beek meeting tonight!!!) I have one new swarm from my parent hive, After several peoples advice i have put a queen excluder under new swarm to prevent queen leaving first light! So what i am now wondering is how long should i leave the QE in place she obviously needs to get mated but dont want if pos to lose another swarm! realise nothing is set in stone but reakon there must be other people out there that have feedback on this!

Dont want to pester the people i have been pming all weekend, their help has been great but realise that everyone else has things to do and problems to solve not just me!.

Sometimes the swarm does not stay in the hive and leave it next day or same morning. It is rare.

But it the colony has a virgin, it make fligt surely next day and try to get through the cage.

If ther swarm has started to draw combs it will not escape from hive and take a QE away.

If it's a swarm, then does it not already have a mated Queen? Unless it was a cast or an artificial swarm?

See you tonight!

You could always add a frame of brood from the parent hive ensuring you take no queen cells. This will encourage them to stay, if you have any drawn comb add this to as it immediately gives them somewhere to lay and store food. You can safely leave the queen excluder ther till tomorrow night and then remove.
Best of luck one stage further on in beekeeping and you have not panicked.

Best of luck one stage further on in beekeeping and you have not panicked.

HAH dont know about not panicked!!!! ask everyone that i have been pestering!!

But one stage further and not got stung this year yet!!! thats How i am looking at it!!

Green with envy at the post that have capped honey already! with all these shinanagins will be lucky i guess to get any this year!

Yes DD I will be there tonight and you are correct about 3rd turning not 2nd! thy forgott the one on the hill to the farm me thinks!

Latest posts

Back