Swarm extraction available!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
If anyone lives near to pertersfield hampshire, and fancies having a go at swarm extraction from a chimney, send me a message and i will give you the details.

They have been about a day and half. Sounds like a prime swarm but i cannot be definate, but the fella doesnt want them killed if possible.

I'd like to, but I've never done one and don't have any kit for roof work.

Sorry.

Happy to offer some help to a qualified beek if no one else can.

FG

Got an easier one tomorrow been there 6 weeks or so in the side of timber shed!!

Tools, hammer and saw...

:)!!!

gww

If anyone lives near to pertersfield hampshire, and fancies having a go at swarm extraction from a chimney, send me a message and i will give you the details.
They have been about a day and half. Sounds like a prime swarm but i cannot be definate, but the fella doesnt want them killed if possible.

I spoke with the gentleman today when he rang me, he is in an old Victorian cottage, the top of the chimney is 14 meters high and not easy to access as its 4 meters above the roof tiles in from the edge of roof. After a long chat I think his only option is to try and heat them out in the hope they abandon the chimney flu. We talked about trying to smoke them out but he has a LPG agar. Although there is an inspection plate which could be removed to burn something which produces good smoke.

I've offered to collect the bees for him if they leave and cluster in a more accessible location but I'm not equipped to deal with swarms in flu's or above the reach of a standard set of double ladders.

Last edited:
I spoke with the gentleman today when he rang me, he is in an old Victorian cottage, the top of the chimney is 14 meters high and not easy to access as its 4 meters above the roof tiles in from the edge of roof. After a long chat I think his only option is to try and heat them out in the hope they abandon the chimney flu. We talked about trying to smoke them out but he has a LPG agar. Although there is an inspection plate which could be removed to burn something which produces good smoke.

I've offered to collect the bees for him if they leave and cluster in a more accessible location but I'm not equipped to deal with swarms in flu's or above the reach of a standard set of double ladders.

Thanks Mike, i did pass the buck on this one i know, i was pressed for time and he wanted to talk for england, but i did give him the low down on his options.

I think he is missing the point in some regards, an extraction is near on out of the question in his situation, but he insisted, i was late, it was messy LOL

If he can shift them out (with some luck and plenty of smoke) then maybe the situation can be reversed, or, it will have to be a smoke gen up the roof and a good hoover afterwards.

Thanks Mike, i did pass the buck on this one i know, i was pressed for time and he wanted to talk for england, but i did give him the low down on his options.

I think he is missing the point in some regards, an extraction is near on out of the question in his situation, but he insisted, i was late, it was messy LOL

If he can shift them out (with some luck and plenty of smoke) then maybe the situation can be reversed, or, it will have to be a smoke gen up the roof and a good hoover afterwards.

haha, no problem.

Merylvingien - Had another call today from the gentleman near Petersfield today. I've agreed to visit him on Wednesday to take a look with the understanding it is very unlikely I will be able to directly remove them but we are hopeful a couple of bait hive may temp them out. Slim chance I know, but its worth a try if all else fails then he will call some one to deal with them. I will use lures in both and place one as close to their entrance as possible and another up wind for a week or two.

Back