Swarm control?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to put her in a cage if she's with her own workers,clip wing,put good excluder between floor and brood,better still put the brood box on top of at least one super.

Hivemaker,

You crafty son of a lady.

Regards;

The basic idea is that queen and brood are separated. Drawing foundation in broodless hive kill the swarming fever.
The queen continues laying and accelerate foraging.
Later you join colony parts to get colony into balance.

Your ideas do not support these basics.

The way i do it the queen and brood are separate,completely,the bee's and queen are a swarm,a pakage,only have foundation,queen cannot lay until they draw it.

No need to put her in a cage if she's with her own workers,clip wing,put good excluder between floor and brood,better still put the brood box on top of at least one super.

Why use the queen excluder, does this stop her from absconding? If using a fresh mated queen would there be a difference in the method?

This is the method I would use however I would have a mated queen ready before the split and put her in with the brood part of the split or maybe split the brood twice, ending up with 3 colonies.

Hawk, you shoud first read some basic beekeeping.

I've read plenty but have very little practical experience. Some people like to use the native bee, which I will be doing, and some like to work with multiple brood chambers which I think is a mess and causes a lot of work regarding swarm control. Each to there own.

Which native bee are you going to use.How are you going to use a demaree system with one brood box? being as you don't like multiple brood box's,have you tried it?

Last edited:
The native bee is the one that's local to me and has acclimatised itself to my area. As far as multiple brood boxes, I'm certain a Demaree doesn't use brood boxes one above the other. Searching through 22 or 33 frames searching for a queen is not my idea of fun. The hive would be open too long and cause too much stress to the bees. 'In and out quick as possible' - that's how I like to work.

If you are going to use the demaree system you still have 22 combs to look through,but first you have to remove the top brood and supers to get to the bottom box. double brood then rotating them works well,takes all of five minutes to go through a double brood,simple.

I've just re read the swarm control notes that somebody else has written and compared them to Dave Cushmans notes, and it seems the version I have shows a sideways Demaree. So my apologies Pete (Hivemaker) I think my wires have been crossed.:svengo:

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would use this one as the title fits the question.

Q. Has anyone used or knows of someone whom has used the Snelgrove method of swarm control? Does it work? (I know no method is 100% but you get the drift), it looks reasonably straightforward, any advice/information would be much appreciated.

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would use this one as the title fits the question.

Q. Has anyone used or knows of someone whom has used the Snelgrove method of swarm control? Does it work? (I know no method is 100% but you get the drift), it looks reasonably straightforward, any advice/information would be much appreciated.

Anyone?

I don't have the book, my mentor uses a similar principle on a homemade board, the ones I have made I copied from a diagram on Dave Cushman's site (I'm actually deeply impressed with the job I've made of them and have given my mentor one of them!) I think I understand the principle of their use and for the time being will decline the very kind offer of the book loan..........but I may be back. :) Thanks

Frisbee

In a word no. It's a real faff.

Swarming colony? Remove the queen into a nuc, knock out the advanced cells and let them get on with it.

PH

The horsely board is my way.
Snelgrove is too fiddly and requires too many visits :(.
All these boards use the same principal the difference being in the mechanics thereof:).
I have been reading about the taravov board and like what I read , it appears to make the job quicker and identifies the split containing the queen at the same time !.

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back