Swarm control - anyone do this version?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Saw this in one of my books as a swarm control method. Does anyone here do this? Does it have a name?

Attachments

• 16526465180007067891552418650157.jpg
    16526465180007067891552418650157.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 82
Sounds a bit like an overly complicated Demarree crossed with a vertical Pagden?

Does sound optimistic, may work but I reckon there are simpler methods.

I wonder if it's supposed to stop swarming because foraging bees and house bees are unable to leave as a group?

It reads a lot like creating an artificial swarm, but in such a way that reuniting is easy because it's always been the same colony. On the other hand, miss a sneaky queen cell in the bottom box and all bets are off. Then again, I'm unconvinced the foraging bees will definitely build emergency queen cells at all because they'll still be aware that there's a queen present.

The section at the end where it says "in many cases this will be sufficient to overcome the swarming instinct" does make it sound somewhat optimistic. I think I'd rather go with a method that is pretty much certain to work rather than one that "works in many cases".

James

Latest posts

Back