Swarm casts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seymour

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all

When my Buckfast hive swarmed five times, I ran out of places to put them and sold two of the casts to a french beekee. He gave me 20 euros for the first but refused to give me more than 10 for the second. I would like to have kept them. Can I remove the queen from a small cast and then recombine the workers back into their old hive ? If so, how.
Thanks.

Hi all

When my Buckfast hive swarmed five times, I ran out of places to put them and sold two of the casts to a french beekee. He gave me 20 euros for the first but refused to give me more than 10 for the second. I would like to have kept them. Can I remove the queen from a small cast and then recombine the workers back into their old hive ? If so, how.
Thanks.

Add an empty brood chamber or super to the top of the hive but place a couple of sheets of newspaper in between as a barrier. Within a day or two they will chew through the paper and will be accepted as part of the colony.

Make a couple of slits in the newspaper with your hive tool to help them along,that way they start to get the smell before chewing begins.

Without a piercing or two there is a risk they won't get through the paper.

PH

Back