Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

seymour 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Hi all

When my Buckfast hive swarmed five times, I ran out of places to put them and sold two of the casts to a french beekee. He gave me 20 euros for the first but refused to give me more than 10 for the second. I would like to have kept them. Can I remove the queen from a small cast and then recombine the workers back into their old hive ? If so, how.
Thanks.

Mike a 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
Hi all

When my Buckfast hive swarmed five times, I ran out of places to put them and sold two of the casts to a french beekee. He gave me 20 euros for the first but refused to give me more than 10 for the second. I would like to have kept them. Can I remove the queen from a small cast and then recombine the workers back into their old hive ? If so, how.
Thanks.
Add an empty brood chamber or super to the top of the hive but place a couple of sheets of newspaper in between as a barrier. Within a day or two they will chew through the paper and will be accepted as part of the colony.

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Make a couple of slits in the newspaper with your hive tool to help them along,that way they start to get the smell before chewing begins.

Poly Hive 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
9 and 18 Nucs
Without a piercing or two there is a risk they won't get through the paper.

PH

Latest posts