Swarm captured -cant find queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Managed to catch first swarm in one of the Chinese black Swarm bags with an old Super shoved inside.

its now a Nuc covering 2 frames but cant identify a queen in there at present . how many days will it take for the Bees to start a Queen cell if required ?

Thanks

B.

Managed to catch first swarm in one of the Chinese black Swarm bags with an old Super shoved inside.

its now a Nuc covering 2 frames but cant identify a queen in there at present . how many days will it take for the Bees to start a Queen cell if required ?

Thanks

B.
By the sound of it it’s a cast your likely to have a virgin queen…. They don’t start a queen cell an egg must be laid by a queen. Book your self on a course and make contact with a local group, there’s a bit to learn!….. if all is well the virgin will fly and mate I’d suggest within a couple of weeks. You should hopefully find eggs after that period.

Thanks

B.
That's really small. Check in a couple of weeks as swarm says.
I have one covering three seams of a 14x12. No sign of anything, queen or brood, after ten days with wonderful weather for mating after they arrived in the bait hive. They are all fanning on the top bars when Stan opens up so I suspect there is no queen

All my experience is that if there is no queen - the centre of attention for the whole lot - they will quickly depart and perhaps return to the issuing colony or disperse. If they stay together, there is the "magnet', i.e. the queen. As others wrote, most likely a virgin, but still a queen. Somehow they know and stick to her.

All my experience is that if there is no queen - the centre of attention for the whole lot - they will quickly depart and perhaps return to the issuing colony or disperse. If they stay together, there is the "magnet', i.e. the queen. As others wrote, most likely a virgin, but still a queen. Somehow they know and stick to her.
She could be lost in mating the day they arrive. I had one two years ago that I left alone. The wasps had them in the end.

I find if you stop worrying about not seeing her and just let them get on with thing and just feed them you will go in one day and there will be eggs and uncapped brood. I've had very few in 14 years where there has been no queen. Small virgin can be hard to spot.

Latest posts

Back