Swarm Box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
I have located four possible locations to put some bait hives/boxes

does anyone have any plans of how to build some cheap boxes.

pretty handy with wood and screws just not sure of the box design.

thanks again beeks:nature-smiley-016:

Bait Hives

I thought a bait hive would be smaller, but no. The research Finman posted said the best size was about Langstroth capacity (20 litres) , put higher up off the ground if possible and a smallish entrance. Most people will just use an old box with a piece of old brood comb in it.

Last edited:
Finman

Please try and expand your responses to threads a little bit better than 4 words.
You are not short on the written words as previous posts show.

As for posting these internet sites I find them irritating because its someone else's work instead of discussing the topic.

Regards;

A tip for you ; ABC means a spell checker so if your not sure of the word let the spell checker do it for you.

My dearest Finman

If you wish to quote then please ensure the quote its correct.

The actual quote is; God helps only those who helps themselves Hezekiah 6:1.

As for reading the links, sorry I can only right, can't reed.

Regards;

Broken Link

Hi Finman, just ot let you know, the eCommons@cornell link is broken. I think it should be ...

http://ecommons.library.cornell.edu/handle/1813/2653

But correct me if this is not the link you were referencing.

Anyway thanks for the urls they look very useful, must start building a bait hive now :cheers2:

Bcrazy and Finman I am trying to think how to resolve this spat

I have got an idea

Can one of you guys put the other on ignore please?

Finman

Please try and expand your responses to threads a little bit better than 4 words.
You are not short on the written words as previous posts show.

As for posting these internet sites I find them irritating because its someone else's work instead of discussing the topic.

Finman merely corrected a small error (40 litres not 20 litres), and helpfully re-posted the links to the research.

So you're being a bit harsh, I think. The research is very interesting. I don't suppose anyone on this forum has the time and resources to experiment with different capacities of swarm lure boxes in the way that Cornell Uni did.

. I don't suppose anyone on this forum has the time and resources to experiment with different capacities of swarm lure boxes in the way that Cornell Uni did.

I wonder what you mean?

Swarm lure box is only normal bee box or constructed for that purpose.

40 litres is usefull because 2 kg swarm may inhabit it. 4-5 kg swarm needs 2 langstroth boxes.

2 kg swarm is quite normal size and valuable.

If the box is too hot, swarm continues its way.

To me it was new and strange that box should be so high 5 meters.

When I started beekeeping I bought swarms and I united them to 4 kg colonies. Those brought honey quite well 40-60 kg.

My dear Finish mooncalf,

Free TIP: Encourage Brazy use his own brains . Some day he will be a real beekeeper.

I sometimes do use my brain but unlike you my friend if you had another brain it would still bee lonely.

A real beekeeper wow are you a real beekeeper, I'm impressed.

Regards;

PS its Bcrazy not Brazy

I believe that 40 litres is also a common chimney pot volume which explains a lot... ;)

PH

Bcrazy if you want to be pedantic about spelling and grammar perhaps when you run your spell checker and want to use the word for putting pen to paper "write" that is you wouldn't use the wrong "right" as you have done. Please stand corrected

Hi sherwood

Why do you think I used the incorrect spelling for write and read?

It's all to do with the spelling by our Continental counterpart.

Please stand corrected

I think not my friend.

You did not pick up on the reed / read????

Regards;

Here we have two people who's posts have been well respected in the past behaving like spoiled kids - please grow up and act your ages. By your actions you show disrespect for Admin and fail to amuse anyone.

If you don't have anything positive or amusing to contribute to another's thread, please don't, it totally wastes the thread and isn't helpful.

I'm sure you both know enough to realise when you are acting like right plonkers.

Käytä tarkistusohjelmasi kun voit. Olet viisas; eivät toimi harkitsemattomasti jos provosoitumista hölmöjä.

I agree Hombre. There is some good information that has been posted on this thread and I have learnt a lot. I don't want it removing cause of an argument.

:(

Latest posts

Back