Swarm Bold area St Helens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Anyone want what was described as a swarm in a bush about 4 ft off the ground? I am on my way away for the weekend otherwise it would be mine

Post Code is WA9

If you can PM me, I can pass on other details

Last edited:
If the swarm is still there I will collect it first thing..

Last edited:
I need a swarm

Hi i really need a swarm to start me off, i have a poly beehive that i made with foundation and lemongrass oil but i dont seem to be attracting any bees, i even have an internal feeder full of sugar water, is the swarm in st helens still there?

Hi i really need a swarm to start me off, i have a poly beehive that i made with foundation and lemongrass oil but i dont seem to be attracting any bees, i even have an internal feeder full of sugar water, is the swarm in st helens still there?

Please remove the internal feeder full of sugar water.

Please remove the internal feeder full of sugar water.

If the box is full of foundation, they will be discouraged. They measure the volume flying internally. What works for me is slumgum and one old (dry) frame. The sugar feeder will just set up a robbing disease exchange.

If the box is full of foundation, they will be discouraged. They measure the volume flying internally. What works for me is slumgum and one old (dry) frame. The sugar feeder will just set up a robbing disease exchange.

One old frame works for me. The sugar syrup will taint everyone's honey in the near vicinity

Thanks

Ok thanks everyone for the replies, i have removed the feeder and i only have 5 brood foundations in there, is that too many?

I've read a few references to this comment about empty space but my most successful bait hive is always set up with one used frame of comb and ten frames of foundation.
Bees don't always read books or forums :)

Haha well i hope they are not reading this thread! Im getting really frustrated because i can see them just ignoring the hive lol, any chance you can advise me of the entrance hole? I got two, one with 5 holed steel grill and another is a round 1 inch hole above it, is that enough? I was reluctant about the 1 inch as i didnt want any mice getting in

I've read a few references to this comment about empty space but my most successful bait hive is always set up with one used frame of comb and ten frames of foundation.

Bees don't always read books or forums :)

Interesting; saves a step as well.

OP: from a fellow BKA Member / mentor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bait hives are as per Sealey. A 15" plywood cube with a small amount of old comb inside. I use a disc entrance over a circular hole. I put them as high up as I can get them all over the place. On my shed roof, on my sisters shed roof , on my neighbours shed roof, on my garage roof, on by brothers flat roof extension etc. I even drilled a hole in my loft, put a waste pipe through it into a bait box inside. This one was successful this year, but I get lots of successes with the Sealey type boxes . 5 frame nuc boxes work sometimes and I also have some of theses around and about off ground. To get the bees, I close the hole with the disc, lower or carry the box down and then take it to an apiary and shake the bees onto foundation.

It's maybe a numbers game! Lots of boxes = a few swarms
In my case so far
8 boxes = 3 swarms

Thanks sixfooter i really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my question, i will do the same and have a number if bait boxes in different places

Latest posts

Back